SNAKE BITE

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

SNAKE BITE

Postby addonexis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:07 am

Hi all. Hope you are all doing great.

I just wanted to post this as a thank you to all that were involved in saving my live after a bad snouty bite; the snouty was given to me with a collection that i took over a while ago. The snake was also given to a person that deals with indigenous snakes 2 days after the bite and i miss her but i do not have permits, so i guess it was the right thing to do. :cry:

The bite happened on Thursday 16 September.
I was taken to Glinwood hospital, with in a few minutes of being admitted I needed to be resuscitated 3 times. I was placed on a ventilator and several drips. I consider myself lucky as i was released the next day at 4 pm with no severe side effects, except getting tired very fast.

A few of my friends recon that dying 3 times will cause getting tired relatively fast. haha :D all jokes aside.

So i would like to thank Andre, Corne and Diodi for getting me to the hospital, Amy, Kera and Olge {nurses} for taking such good care of me during my stay at the hospital. Leon {trauma counselor} for keeping every one up to date with my condition, Melanie {doctors assistant} for everything she did to help. Then I would also like to thank DR. Capatos for the great care and the fact that he treated me symptomatically instead of wanting to pump me full of antivenom, as I truly believe it would have done more damage. finally i would also like to thank Arno Naude for explaining to the doctors of the casualty unit how to treat me until DR. Capatos arrived.

So thanks to everyone that was involved, if it was not for you i would have been dead today.
I will put it in a mayonaise jar, with a stick and a leaf to recreate its natural enviroment
addonexis
SA Reptiles Member

Re: SNAKE BITE

Postby Bjorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 am

Glad you are ok and thanks for sharing! That must have been a scary experience. How big was the Snouty? We have a massive 2,3m female that we give the utmost respect!
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:32 am

Good to hear you had no ill effects.

Can you provide some info on how the bite occoured?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Graeme » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 am

Shame man, so glad you're still with us! I'd love to to know, just for interest sake, how many people out there can consider BV as their guardian angel.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby addonexis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:49 am

Thank you all, she was about 80cm.

It was a stupid mistake on my part { as all bites } i was showing her to people and did not give the situation the attention it deserved. she grabed me on the arm { in which looks to be in one of the main arteries } i managed to get hold of her behind the head.

I took the single fang that penetrated out and replaced her in her drawer where she was kept.

As i walked out of my reptile room, i started to feel dizzy and nauseous.

About 5 minutes after that i was out and on my way to the hospital.
I will put it in a mayonaise jar, with a stick and a leaf to recreate its natural enviroment
addonexis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Having a doctor that listens to advice and was cautious and conservative with the treatment also helps a great deal. I remember telling the doctor that the patient cannot die unless the doctor screws up and takes him off the ventilator. Hopefully this helped that they did not give up and the outcome seems to be pretty good.

Glad you made it and can give a report back.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby addonexis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanx again for the help.
im also glad that i could report back. haha
addonexis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Good to hear that you are ok.Just wondering how many lives as well as fingers Bushviper has saved.My biggest fear is always that the doctors will do something stupid.You were lucky they took the advice offered by Bushviper.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyelash viper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Addonexis no mean to throw a spanner in the works.But were you not bitten ealier this year at an expo by a purple mangrove viper?
Nature is there for every mans need Not his greed !!!
eyelash viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I would like to know how the bite hapened ?

Glad to hear you made it, and no bad side efects reside!
B.V may I have my wife call you when ever I have a serious bite?.....
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Boogy my number is up here on the site. I dont discriminate who's phone calls I take and anyone is free to phone if they believe I can help.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby monopeltis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:22 pm

addonexis wrote: I managed to get hold of her behind the head.

I took the single fang that penetrated out and replaced her in her drawer where she was kept.

If anyone reads this and gets bitten... don't ever grab the snake behind the head while it is biting you....putting pressure on the venom glands and introducing more venom into your system. A lot of BAD bites happen like this...

Rip the snake off by pulling higher up.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Great to hear you are okay mate. Not a nice bite to get. Doctors are not clued up with snake bite treatment well not many any way. And finding one that will listen to outside advice is amazing. Hope you recover soon buddy. How did the snake get hold of your arm?

O and Bv is indeed a guardian angel. Man he has saved many... Thanx Arno
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club