Shock treatment?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Shock treatment?

Postby vuduman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 am

I recall seeing a rattlesnake roundup in a documentry once or twice...

But in some specific roundup, one guy was pinning and quickly throughing Western diamondback rattlesnakes in a bag.
If I remember correctly, the guy got bitten more than once within a few minutes.
After a bite, a medic of some sort had a little device to shock the person on the bite erea,and he will proceed to bag the snakes imediately.
I don't recall seeing that he gets medical attention afterwards either?

Has anyone seen or heard of this?What exactly does the shock do to the venom?
Is a it a temparary solution and what venom does it react to?
If it does work, or buy you some time, shouldn't any "hot" collector have one of these devices in the snakeroom?
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shock treatment?

Postby Rodis » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Vuduman

Right off I will say that more experienced keepers might answer this better.
To my knowledge and as per African Reptiles and Venom’s snake I.D. course, it does nothing for the snake bite victim.
The theory is that the electric shocks help break down the venom, for whatever reasons this is not the case with snake envenomation.
However Mike did mention that it can be effective for scorpion stings.
"The best time to plant a seed and grow a tree was 20 years ago; the second best time is now" Chinese Proverb

Rodney Erasmus
Rodis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:03 am

This has been tested and found to have no beneficial properties.

The intelligence of people who partake in this past time and the people who give medical advice are way up there with beetroots and carrots. I would rather ignore any advice emanating from these barbaric practices.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby WW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Rodis wrote:Hi Vuduman

Right off I will say that more experienced keepers might answer this better.
To my knowledge and as per African Reptiles and Venom’s snake I.D. course, it does nothing for the snake bite victim.
The theory is that the electric shocks help break down the venom, for whatever reasons this is not the case with snake envenomation.
However Mike did mention that it can be effective for scorpion stings.

A sufficient electric current might potentially break down venom. So will concentrated battery acid or a thermonuclear explosion. That does not mean that they make good remedies to snakebite.

What people often forget is that these venoms consist of proteins - the stuff that makes up most of our body tissues. So, unless something breaks down venom proteins very specifically (such as specific antibodies as contained in antivenom), it will also break down our own body proteins.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 am

Placebo effect and entertainment for everyone else, that's about it.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby vuduman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

Cowboys then! :)
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club