Cape cobra bite - a long unbroken record broken.

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Cape cobra bite - a long unbroken record broken.

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 am

Glad you're ok Tony, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 am

Get well soon Tony.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 am

Glad you're okay! Eye opener for all.
Good on you JKA for thinking straight in a time like that! Whooohooo! :-D
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 am

Good to hear you made it out okay Tony! Just goes to show how quick accidents happen! All the best with the recovery.
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Heartfelt thanks for your concern and kind words all.

I am taking it easy, taking my antibiotics and just relaxing in general.

The most surprising thing was how quickly the symptoms kicked in i.e. I was out of it in 20 mins. I cannot remember much after that Rian says I was thrashing about on the gurney and kept falling off and they had to pin me down - struggling to breathe I guess.

Regarding Rian - I put a lot of responsibility on those young shoulders - but he was a stalwart - He has my love and thanks forever.
I would also like to thank those who rallied around - some of my friends from DeHoop wanted to jump in their cars and come and give me some TLC, bless them all.
But Lourance and Nicky (nivea) came from Worcester and did indeed give me some TLC, thanks I love you both.

Like I said I am OK, tired but OK. I will keep an eye on that blister it seems to be getting bigger - maybe BV can throw some light as I know he had a similar thing with a snoutie.

And yet agagin - please be careful out there - I am getting so worried about all the free handling I see on facebook U tube etc. Life is precious live it safely. Thanks all. Gonna have another nap now.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushbaby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Cape Cobra's are not to be taken as lightly as many people do. Glad you are okay Tony. BV is still in Natal and will probably only be online on Tuesday. His blister was not that bad and it sloughed off in no time. The bite site was a bit sensitive for quite a while after the bite. He didn't really have any other symptoms though.

Tony, I would assume they administered anti-venom. Do you know how much they gave you? Did they have to ventilate you. which would be typical of a Cape Cobra bite?

In BV's absence I wish you a speedy recovery and best wishes on both of our behalves.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby John Rees » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Wow that is really hectic - the speed that the venom had such a serious effect on you even when bitten on the hand. Are you perhaps a bit sensitive or is that to be expected with Cape Cobra bites?
All the best wishes for a full recovery Tony.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

I am so glad you are OK Tony. That was a close call.

There are real lessons there for us all. Most of us probably assume that if we get bitten, we are going to suffer a lot, but it will be OK in the end. In Tony's case it was, because Rian was there for him, and because he was close to medical help. Even then, you may not be so lucky. Just 10 days ago, a man died within 20 minutes of a bite by a Crotalus durissus in Austria, despite a good emergency plan and a perfectly executed rescue action with paramedics on the scene within minutes.

Keep safe out there...
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 am

Glad you are fine and recovering well Tony. JKA my maat, dankie dat jy na die ou man omgesien het.

On a lighter note...Tony I told you last week those snakes from Oudtshoorn are freaking crazy, they are born to give you a hard time.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 am

Whew, glad to hear you're on the mend. May your recovery be speedy.

Goes to show how dangerous these animals can be, when someone as experienced and well known for placing safety in such high regard such as yourself can have an accident like this.
Thanks for sharing, you are an ispiration to so many and I look forward to many years yet, learning from your experiences and wisdom.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 am

Tony, My sympathy rests with you. I am just glad to hear that you are ok and I pray that you do not develop any post event symptoms or reactions.
If someone with this vast knowledge and ability to handle reptiles can get tagged, then there is merit in the saying which I heard BV once utter.
"IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME, BUT IF YOU KEEP VENEMOUS, YOU WILL GET TAGGED AT SOME TIME OR THE OTHER. HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION READY FOR THIS EVENT".
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Wow! Thanks JKA and well done!
We are all human and complacency is a bit like shyte, it just happens. So pleased this has a good ending and you are ok oom.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bob H » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 am

Glad you are OK and thanks for sharing the experience. If this deters one free handler maybe it will be worth it.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 am

I dont keep hots, but I work with them. It's a fear i've always had...never handle the snake unless u need to, thats how i look at it and concentration is key.

Thats the thing with these animals, no matter how careful you are or how experienced you are the snake is always faster and on the alert! We have to treat these snakes with a great deal of respect and strongly advise others to do so aswell...espescially the younger guyz that are getting into the venomous side of things.

I am 19 and i know a guy who is a year younger than me...two years ago, he was 16, he was keeping everything from whitelips to mambas...and no he didnt get tagged, luckily...in my opinion he was way too young to be keeping that sort of thing! He eventually got bored with them and sold them, thankfully. He then got tagged by a friends A. lubricus cowlesi.

It can happen to the best of us, have a plan of action :) Glade you're ok man

Oh btw, snouties have a cytotoxic element to their venom, as far as ive heard capies have purely neurotixic venom...but with swelling and a blister like that, dont they also have some cytotoxic effect... :?:
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

A good outcome and thats important. Get well soon. What medical facility did you go to?
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club