Antivenom Producers

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Antivenom Producers

Postby boing » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

I just wanted to check my information. As far as I understand, the only place that produces antivenom in South Africa is South African Vaccine Producers. They also have specific suppliers for the venom they use, one of these being Mike Perry.

My questions, are there any other venom suppliers, and if so how many?

Also, are there any other producers of antivenom in this country?
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Antivenom Producers

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Something I was also wondering, I don't think there are any others though.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 am

I heard a rumor that Hartebees poort dam reptile park also produce anti venom for exsotic snakes but it is very, very, very expensive and your medical won't pay for it.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 am

Nope only the SA Vaccine Producers make antivenom. They have contracts with two major suppliers of which Mike is one of them. They have enough venom from certain species for the next 15 years and others they still need but not much.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby boing » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks BV. I had a weird call the other day, on a Public Holiday. Someone claimed that the National Health Labratory Services in East London needed venom from our Black Mamba and Puff Adder for antivenom. When I pushed for more information they hung up. I never even got to tell them we don't have any Black Mamba...

As far as I know, Hartebeestpoort Dam Snake and Animal Park import exotic antivenom for the species they keep. If they sell it to someone else they need to go through the process of procuring more and may not have for their staff when needed, so they quote some obscene price to discourage people from asking.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club