Boomslang Bite!

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Boomslang Bite!

Postby Boskobra » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I opened my facebook newsfeed to find to my horror that a guy was bitten by a Boomslang. :smt021
With further testing they found out it was a dry bite. :D
Anybody maybe know anymore detail about this incident? :smt012

Cheers
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Boomslang Bite!

Postby Rob Macmillan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:20 pm

In all due respect, if it was a dry bite then there really isnt much left to the story except the guy now has some puncture wounds where he was bitten. Ive heard of a few cases in Northern Kzn of dry bites (luckily). I dont know of this recent one or any other details on it.....Ill keep eyes and ears posted though.
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:23 pm

"Dry bites" are not all that uncommon with rear fanged species many of the Psammophis do that.
Was it one of the cowboys who was "bitten"?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am

How long after a Boomslang bite can one confirm a dry bite? IIRC symptoms from this bite can take a while to show.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Boskobra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Hmmm... Fooble I don't want to mention names (am I allowed too), but from the guy the update was placed was free handling a nice green mamba but it was not him that got bitten, it sounds like one of his friends, so i think it is one of the local cowboys.
I will PM you the name and you can go and check the guy out on my friendslist.
Rob- yes in all do respect I do understand but there is always more to a story and maybe we can learn something from this guys experience, what exactly happened, was it free handled, was it on a hiking trial etc etc.
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club