Inland Taipan v.s Belchers Sea Snake?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Inland Taipan v.s Belchers Sea Snake?

Postby Mr Venom » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I viewed a video of the top ten venomous snake's and it stated that: ''the Inland Taipan is the #1 most venomous land snake. However death causes are very rare because this snake is very shy, docile and not aggressive, making attack case is also rare. It's LD50 is 0,01m.g. A single bite is enough to kill 100 humans or 250,000 mice. The venom causes muscle paralysis, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. Death may occur in 30-45 minutes.'' Then it stated that: ''the Belchers Sea Snake is the #1 most venomous sea snake as well as the #1 most venomous snake ever! However this snake is very shy, docile and not aggressive, making attack case very rare. LD50 is:0,0001m.g. Since attack case is very rare, this snake's venom effect is still being studied until now, but LD50 has been measured, it's 100 times more venomous than the Inland Taipan". But I thought that the Inland Taipan is 'the' most venomous snake in the world or is what the video stated true? Even though the venom effect of the Belchers Sea Snake is still being studied? The video was made this year. So what do you guys think?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Inland Taipan v.s Belchers Sea Snake?

Postby bitis keeper » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:24 am

Inland taipanis the most venomous snake on land an other thing is that almost any snake can be agro on its day!! Thats my opinion. :)
bitis keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bitis keeper » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:27 am

Sorry ment to say taipan. :oops:
bitis keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 pm

I think more research needs to be done to know for shore, i also saw a list of the 12 most venomous snakes and the cape cobra was 11th? witch surprised me.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 pm

There are a lot of different venomous snake lists out there but in my opinion the most deadliest snake is the venomous one in front of you.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Yip but luckly i don't have one in front of me.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:45 pm

The LD50 is great for showing venom strength in rodents... I'm sure that has been discussed before somewhere on the site, but shows no real indication as to the human side of things. Rodent physiology is quite a bit different to humans.

Here is an interesting read for more info...
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9913&p=78309&hilit=LD50#p78309

There was also a documentary that was made a while ago for National Geographic, and in it, the researcher (Dr Jamie Seymour) was doing various venoms, and basing his findings on opportunity (how likely the creature will have the chance to bite, ie. living in heavily populated areas, or in low population areas), aggression (how aggressive is the animal in question, ie. is it more likely to run away, or stand it's ground and defend itself), injection mechanism (how well does the animal deliver it's venom), quantity (how venom much does the animal inject in a single bite or sting), and potency (how toxic is the venom drop for drop). He was using cultured human heart cells to test the various venoms on, and some of the findings were quite scary! Some venoms kille dup to 100% of the heart cells within minutes, and less! At the end of each animal, he took the criteria above, and based upon that, he gave each individual animal a single, average on deadliness. Quite an interesting way to look at them, instead of just trying to find out which one is the deadliest based purely on venom toxicity. Same species from different areas have been shown to have various strengths as far as their venom goes, and if I remember correctly, some even have slight variations in the proteins in their venom, based on location.

I can't find the whole set of 5 parts, but here is a few minutes of the documentary that I did manage to find...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSMh-kXzOEA

As Al Coritz says (loosely quoted) on his Viperkeeper Youtube videos, "The deadliest snake is the one that just bit you..."
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club