Cape Town man dies from cobra bite

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Cape Town man dies from cobra bite

Postby TonyK » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 am

I read in our local newspaper ,The Tygerburger,that a 27 year old man died on Sunday from a Cape Cobra bite to his hand.The details are a bit unclear but it seems he was admitted to Tygerburg hospital where he died 8 hours latter.This is the unclear part ,the article says the man was NOT treated for snake bite .I wonder if anybody else has more details ?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cape Town man dies from cobra bite

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:23 am

I think they mean he did not get antivenom. I guess that is why he died. Kinda stupid to go to a hospital and then NOT get treated. Try contacting the reporter and ask the right questions so that we all can find out what is going on.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Brussel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm

I read the article.

It seems the man was so drugged and disoriented (he was an addict) that he could not adequately explain what happened and by the time they realized it was a bit late. that was my understanding
Brussel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm

A bit person will also look drugged and disorientated. EIsh
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper Wade » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

A nerotoxic venom can make a person seem 'drunk' or on drugs.
See you later alligator
In awhile crocodile
Viper Wade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 am

Could someone please find the original article or give us more info?

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Ive e mailed the paper asking for the details of the reporter, or to get the reporter to contact me.
read the article here...

http://www.tygerburger.co.za/
Select latest issue and then area Kuilsriver..
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 am

It seems it was more a case of misdiagnosis than incompetence. Really sad his buddy did not pitch up earlier with the dead snake.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

To make things a bit easier I have saved a copy of the article here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16853726/SAReptiles/General/Man%20Dies%20From%20Cobra%20Bite.jpg
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shamrock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 pm

A question to the more knowledgeable.
Suppose they ventilated him when he stopped breathing, and kept him on the ventilator, would that possibly have changed the outcome?
I'm trying to wrap my head around this, as I thought that even without AV you should have a very good chance at survival (allergic reactions put aside of course) if put on a ventilator soon enough. Or am I just understanding it wrong? Please help me out here?
Don't worry, its completely tame . . .
Shamrock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Yes he probably would have pulled through had he been adequately ventilated. In this case they did not understand the situation and technically he received zero treatment.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby yoson10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Do most of the forum members on here have Dutch or British origins? Just curious

Shamrock wrote:A question to the more knowledgeable.
Suppose they ventilated him when he stopped breathing, and kept him on the ventilator, would that possibly have changed the outcome?
I'm trying to wrap my head around this, as I thought that even without AV you should have a very good chance at survival (allergic reactions put aside of course) if put on a ventilator soon enough. Or am I just understanding it wrong? Please help me out here?

Yeah like BV said he would have had a pretty good chance of pulling through if put on a ventilator...You do see deaths when people are on ventilators but that's usually because they are brought in like very late and rushed to be put on a ventilator and it's already pretty much to late...You do also see respiratory infections like Pneumonia causing deaths while people are on the ventilator from the venom but that is pretty rare and more common to 3rd world areas and small rural hospitals that lack equipment...A major hospital in a prosperous area would be able to deal with a serious respiratory infections that comes up when the person is on a ventilator.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 pm

yoson10 wrote:Do most of the forum members on here have Dutch or British origins? Just curious

@Yoson 10 I would love to have somebody look at my DNA then I could answer your question.If you took a simplistic view then maybe you could say English speaking guys British and then Afrikaans speakers Dutch but its not so simple .I had both English and Afrikaans grandparents so ether way I`m just a South African, my ancestral roots are long lost.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shamrock » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for the awnser, just wanted some clarity.
It's still a tragedy, no matter who's at fault.
Don't worry, its completely tame . . .
Shamrock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I was requested to I'd the suspected snake being a jnr Cape Cobra. I then leaked the story to the media. There has been a twist or two added but nothing big.
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Venom Club