Death's just a bite away

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Death's just a bite away

Postby Jamster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Yes and there is a big difference between a human being and a snake. The sdeserved to dnake died yes and it really sucks. I feel really bad for the snake and it must have terrified but i don't think it is right to mock, make fun of and be happy about the death of a person. Yes a person like for instance Saddam Musane who was a murderer etc did deserve to die. But a person that is not educated about an animal that he desperately fears killing a snake does not mean he and the people associated with him should be wished dead and mocked.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 am

Jamster wrote:Yes and there is a big difference between a human being and a snake.

In the mind of humans their is....But in reality there isn't...No species on earth is "more valuable than the other" as far as the earth is concerned....Everything is equally as worthless and disposable. If humans were so valuable....1 million people wouldn't be dying from Mosquito bites every year.

Just because humans like to pretend that we are more valuable/important in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant...We aren't to anyone who objectively looks at the world and isn't afraid to call it like it is....We are able to dominate in the current time because the evolutionary survival strategy that we undertook as a species was the most successful strategy( focusing on intelligence and manipulating the environment to our advantage) but that doesn't mean that we are somehow more important/valuable than anything else.

But anyway rant over lol....I do feel bad for his family but ultimately he made a dumb poor choice and paid the price...As far as I see it...Venom went up against Intelligence and size and the result was a draw....

I feel much more sympathy for innocent people who are killed by animals/humans etc...Than someone who tested fate like this guy and paid the price.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:28 am

Vipress wrote:And a lion charges. And tries to attack them. Yes he's probably going to shoot at the lion. He's not going to sit there and say no shame innocent animal we can't do that.! The lion was probably being territorial like I said!

Only difference is that the mamba did not charge at the men and attack them as a lion would, because snakes don't do that. In this case it would have been the same as the game ranger running up to the lion and shooting it.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:36 am

I dont have much sympathy for the guy that died. The same as I have very little sympathy for people that does stupid things and comes off second best. You tried and failed and paid the school fees. They claim that the snake cornered 3 farmers, give me a break. Does anyone on this forum actually believe that? I do feel sorry for the ones left behind though.

Having said that I am amazed at some of the posts here and on other posts. There is a general feeling in a certain part of our population that the only good snake is a dead snake. I have even seen another post where forum members laid into a young poster (yes his post was offensive) for saying it like it is. The forum members even went as far as saying they were hunting the rock pyton for food. To the best of my knowllege thare is no part of our population that has snake on their diet.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

The true tragedy in all of this is not the death of an individual but the ignorance which caused that individuals death.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:59 pm

I feel sorry for the mans family and the snake.
The story does contradict itself when it says that in the first paragraph that the men cornered the snake, and in the third that snake cornered them. In my mind that does not work.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:25 pm

I agree with Ales 100% i have no sympathy for the person,he got what he deserved.
I know this might sound a bit harsh but whenever i hear a story like this i'm always glad that the snakes get to take one of ours after humans have taken so many of theres.
I also agree with what yoson10 seid about humans thinking we are the most important thing in the world,if anything we are the least important and most distructive creatures,just look what we are doing to our planet.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 am

There are two sides to this coin. The one side states that the only good snake is a dead snake. The other states that the snake killing the person is a good thing. Maybe if more people spent less time bitching and moaning about the killing of snakes and spent more time actually showing and educating people about how to deal with snakes we'd have less cases such as this one. this is an unfortunate story through and through there are were no positive results.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am

Your assumption that we are doing nothing to educate is so far off its not even funny. I try at every opportunity and unfortunatly the people are not receptive. You are dealing with people that believe raping a baby will cure aids or sleeping with a sliver of vulture brain will make you win the lotto. I reprimanded one of my employees for littering. His responce it is job creation as I now have to employ someone to clean up. Hell even our late (ex)minister of health believed that garlic and african patato will cure aids.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 am

Again complaints.

If you cant educate the people directly then educate people that they are willing to listen to. Hell, theres a guy in an informal settlement here in PE that keeps an RTB and a Burm. permitted and all. He has shown his community that snakes arent evil and can actually be a great security feature. The people around him dont mind and are becoming more tollerant of snakes.

And i never pointed fingers. I just said it would be better if more people did so. Yes you may be trying to educate people. But most people would rather point fingers and tell others they are stupid for what they belive in and for killing these animals. Im telling you now..from experince.. the best way to educate people is to physically give them a snake to hold or touch or even see someone else holding it and show them how they behave. Not #$%^ them out when they kill a snake and tell them they are wrong. On one the topics a gentlemen gives his workers rewards for not killing and rather simply catching and moving snakes. When those workers go home they tell their families listen i have learnt how to remove snakes without even having to get too close or kill them.

I dont really care for for this topic anymore. I was just disgusted with the way in which some people treat the death of something that was once living be it snake or person. There is no "hero" in this story. Assumtions of alcohol abuse are far fetched. They both died. I know that none of us are happy about the death of the snake. but those of you that are happy about the death of that man...I pity you.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Jamster I agree with you and we cannot paint everyone with the same brush. This is not a culture thing either because I get white immigrants who also want to kill all they see.

Education is a problem and some people do not want to be educated. Lets hold out and try to educate the ones that we can because everybody comes across a snake at least once in their life. If we can convince 1000 people to not kill that snake that's a nice number who will survive and continue breeding.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sfourie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That's my problem. People just don't seem to be interested in my animal rights email, yet a nothing post like "Save Terra Nova" gets over 300 views. Question for me is this. People on this forum want everyone to change their perceptions of snakes. Are they themselves willing to change their perceptions surrounding other important issues or is it a one way street?
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Phunk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Phew, this post sure got carried away... But if you guys look at my profile and see my ocupation... I'm the only one that doesn't mind how or why he died..
Phunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Shew..... Well this was an interesting read for a Friday afternoon.
I really do find it disturbing that so many of you are praising the snake and condemning the human. This is a tragedy which ever way you look at it. The snake died and so did the human. Yet most of you are raving about the snake. It's pathetic.
Catch a wake up call, yes you are dealing with people who sleep with vulture brains and all kinds of abnormal stuff but they did what they know best, protect themselves against a snake, and a black mamba on top of it. They are going to be killing snakes for decades to come. That is the bottom line!!! And yes this is VERY different from poaching rhino.
Assuming they were drinking or whatever is a little below the belt, not all of them drink. Maybe they just had they timeline misjudged, it can be as simple as that. Panic and fear can distort the mind.
I used to be proud of a community such as this that stood together for a united cause, reptiles. But when members start championing the death of a human because he killed a snake, I'm sorry, I am ashamed to be part of your twisted community. Really I am. :smt018
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Constrictor Girl wrote:I'm sorry, I am ashamed to be part of your twisted community. Really I am. :smt018

Please excuse me for saying this but I actually take offence to your "comment".

Just because someone else (and there always will be someone else) does not share your view, it does not give you the right to brand them as "twisted".

Although I support the snake in this case as I believe this oke was an idiot to assume the snake was dead, I still respect respect your view. I realise that you have your reasons for seeing things the way you do, but so do I and I will stand by them.

Thank you.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=twisted

"perverted, mentally strange," 1900, pp. adj. from twist (n.) in a sense of "mental peculiarity, perversion" first attested 1811.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club