Copperhead bite

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Copperhead bite

Postby Serpent » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 am

Sorry to hear that you got bitten buddy. Eish I have a pair of hex-Armour gloves, but only really use them to handle my mole snakes, and sometimes when feeding my bigger vipers. Won't be using them in a hurry again after reading this post.

Speedy recovery bud.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:09 pm

I have Hexarmour gloves and used them yesterday even after reading this. I had a very flighty young boomslang that hopped out of his cage. I would still use these rather than leather gloves. I still dont trust them enough to free handle anything, however if the snake had turned and bitten (which he did not) then I would have had a layer of protection compared to nothing.

I use these with the boids a lot. Hungry retics hurt but not when you are wearing gloves.

I did a series of photos many years ago where I showed how various sharp objects went right through them. I would rather rely on my training to avoid being bitten than rely on a layer of protection.

Accidents do happen!!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sico » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Good luck with the bite. My Copperhead bite (also very juvenile) started off looking the same way, ended up in theatre for debridement, and took just over 48 days to close up. 18 years later it's still damn sensitive.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks guys for the input.Yes BV.I do agree fully with your comment.It is definately better than having no protection atall.I also used them again today for big ratsnakes :)

Thanks Sico for your post.My bite could be looking a lot better if my boss gave me a bit more time off work.Every bump is on the same finger unfortunately.I try best to keep it clean and change the dressing religiousely.Just hope the damage is smallofcourse.the swelling has gone down completely.My glands under my arm are still a bit sore,but the throbbing is luckily not so bad that it keeps me from sleeping anymore.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club