Violin spider bite?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Violin spider bite?

Postby Paul STAGG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

My daughter was bitten by what has been identified as a violin spider. Two game rangers identified it as the violin spider.
She is in extreme pain and the two bites have a "black hole" in the middle.
She is on anti biotics and heavy pain killers.
I will post a picture of the spider tomorrow.

If any one has any information, please e mail me on pauls@jmcsa.co.za.

Thanks.

Paul
Paul STAGG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Violin spider bite?

Postby Mamba no 5 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Ooooh, ouch. Hope she gets better soon, violin spiders have a nasty cytotoxic venom, almost like a puffy bite.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Violin spider bite?

Postby froot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:11 pm

A previous topic on this bite:
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10905 - don't let the images fool you.

I suppose you could compare the venom drop for drop to a puff adder but the amount delivered by a spider is not near that of a puff adder so the necrosis won't be nearly as bad as that of a puff adder. There have been reports of secondary effects from this bite and you'll need to watch for symptoms related to kidney and liver function closely while treat the bite site symptomatically. She should keep drinking lots of fluids to keep flushing out her organs, preferably water.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Venom Club