Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

Postby Kakibos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

Just heard this on a local radio station here at the Vaal Triangle VCR 90.6 Fm stereo
and copied the following from their face-book page.

Sorry it is in Afrikaans.
I am trying to get the cell number of the father of the girl so I can make a positive ID on the snake.

"SASOLBURG - 'n Graad vyf leerling aan die Laerskool Fonteine in Sasolburg in die Vrystaat is gistermiddag na die Emfuleni Medi-Clinic gehaas nadat 'n slang haar gepik het. Die elfjarige, Sane Smit wat by haar ouma op die plaas gaan kuier het, het met die honde gespeel toe die slang haar op die kuit gepik het. Die slang is vermoedelik een van die eiervreter-soorte. Smit het gesê dat sy nie eens die slang gesien het nie. Volgens 'n woordvoerder van die hospitaal het sy egter 'n driekwartuur later begin sukkel om asem te haal. Verpleegsters het haar dedelik suurstof gegee. Smit se toestand is stabiel, maar sy is steeds in die hospitaal vir waarneming. Dokters by die hospitaal, wat aanvanklik nie geweet het waarvoor om haar te bahandel nie, sê sy is buite gevaar en kan moontlik spoedig huis toe gaan. 'n Slangkenner by die Wits Universiteit in Johannesburg, Prof. Graham Alexander sê slange val nie net aan nie. Hy sê die reptiel het moontlik geskrik. Smit se pa het reeds die slang van kant gemaak."
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

Postby Miguel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 am

It sucks that it is in afrikaans as I cannot read/speak/understand afrikaans at all. :(. I'd really like to know what is says though
3.2 Burmese Pythons (normal/albino)
4.2 Red Tail Boas (normal/albino/hypo jungle)
5.2 Carpet Pythons (Jungle, Jags, Jungle Jags)
1.1 Taiwanese Rats
2.1 Ball Pythons (normal/spider)
0.1 Arizonan Mountain King
0.1 Grey Banded King
0.1 Albino Cali king
1.0 Mex Black King
0.1 Pueblan Milk
0.0.1 Yellow Annie
1.0 Western hognose
0.2 BHS
0.1 Cape Coral
1.0 Shield Nose
0.1 Southern Brown Eggie
Miguel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

Miguel wrote:It sucks that it is in afrikaans as I cannot read/speak/understand afrikaans at all. :(. I'd really like to know what is says though

You can always use Google Translate, it does not translate perfectly but you can get an idea of what it says.
http://translate.google.co.za/

Eiervreter does not translate, it is Egg Eater.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby ColinWa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

A grade five student at Fountains Primary School in Sasolburg in the Free State yesterday afternoon rushed to the Emfuleni Medi-Clinic after a snake had bitten her. The eleven year old, Sane Smith went to visit her grandmother on the farm, playing with the dogs the snake bit her on the calf. The snake is believed to be one of the eggeater type. Smith said that she had not even seen the snake. According to a spokesperson for the hospital, 45 mins later she struggled to breathe. Nurses Immediately gave her oxygen. Smith's condition is stable, but she is still in the hospital for observation. Doctors at the hospital, which initially did not know what to treat her for, said she was out of danger and could go home soon. A snake expert at Wits University in Johannesburg, Prof. Graham Alexander says snakes don't just attack. He said the reptile may have gotten a fright.

That's a rough translation.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

Let me translate : a Grade 5 pupil from Fonteine primary school in Sasolburg was visiting her grandmother on her farm, when she got bit by a snake,
the little girl was playing with the dogs when the snake bit her on the calf.
According to the article the snake was said to be some sort of an egg eater snake.
The little girl did not even see the snake when she was bit.
According to a spokesperson from Emfuleni Medi-Clinic the girl started struggling to breath after about 45 minutes and was given oxygen.
She is stable but still in Hospital for observation. The Doctors was not sure what to treat her for but says she is not in danger and will be going home soon.
a Snake expert at Wits University , Prof. Graham Alexander said that a snake will not likely attack a person. He said the snake might have gotten a fright.
The girls father killed the snake.

Hope I translated it correctly.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 am

Sorry ColinWa, only saw your post when I posted.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am

Ha Ha, Not a problem, yours is better anyway, Mods can remove mine.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 am

So she might have been bitten by a Night adder by the sounds of it.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Egg-eater... haha.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm

It seems it could have been a Skaapsteker or a Grass snake or possibly even an aurora house snake. Either way the girl was doing well (as expected) has been discharged. Shock can be a nasty thing. We are still awaiting confirmation of the snake involved.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kakibos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Yes I spoke to the father, the little girl is fine, I am still waiting for a photo from the father but liked BV said it sounds like
one of the above mentioned snakes.
The father told me that he was shocked/upset that a big hospital did not know exactly how to treat his daughter and did not even have
one snake ID book at hand.
The father did kill the snake and took it to hospital but no one could ID the snake.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 am

In Beeld this morning:

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/1 ... t-20130429

11-jarige weer haar ou self ná slang byt

Sasolburg. – ’n Jong meisie van dié dorp wat Sondag deur ’n slang op haar ouma se plaas tussen Sasolburg en Heilbron gebyt is, het gister weer breed geglimlag en is vandag weer terug skool toe.

Sané Smit (11), ’n gr. 5-leerling aan die Laerskool Fonteine op Sasolburg, het buite haar ouma, Hester Otto, se plaashuis met die honde gespeel toe sy voel iets steek haar soos ’n naald aan haar been. Toe sy omkyk, sien sy ’n slang wegseil, vertel haar ma, René.

“Sy was heel kalm en het net geroep sy is deur ’n slang gepik. Ons het gesoek en hom gekry.

“Haar neef, Pieter Botha, het toe die slang se kop met ’n graaf afgegooi. Dit was nogal een van die beste gooislae wat ek nóg gesien het,” vertel René.

Die slang én sy kop is toe in ’n plastieksak saam na die Mediclinic Emfuleni op Vanderbijlpark gebring.

“Ons het amper die hospitaal leeggemaak toe ons met die slang daar aankom,” grap René.

“Dit was die hospitaal se eerste geval van ’n slangbyt, so toe Google ons maar of ons kan sien watter slang dit is. Ons sien toe dit is ’n grasslangetjie. Hy was nie baie lank nie, so ’n halfmeter. Dis nie giftig nie.”

Hoewel Sané ’n bietjie asemnood ervaar het, was dit weens die feit dat sy ’n asmalyer is en nie weens die slangbyt nie. Dit is dadelik behandel.

Sané is oornag in die hospitaal gehou, maar was teen gister weer haar ou self, sê haar ma.

Sy is vandag terug skool toe.

- Johan Marais, ’n slangkenner van die Afrika-slangbyt-instituut, sê grasslange is glad nie skadelik of giftig nie. Hulle kom wyd in die streek voor.

“Slegs in 20% van gevalle waar mense in die hospitaal behandel word vir die byt van ’n dodelik giftige slang, is dit nodig vir hulle om teengif te kry.

Dié grasslang het Sané Smit gebyt. Haar neef, Pieter Botha (25), het dit kopaf gegooi met ’n graaf
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Miguel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am

thank you all for helping me to understand what it says!! i really appreciate it, i hope you all enjoy the rest of your day :)

sorry for the late reply, been very busy recently and have had no time to come onto the forum. :smt006
3.2 Burmese Pythons (normal/albino)
4.2 Red Tail Boas (normal/albino/hypo jungle)
5.2 Carpet Pythons (Jungle, Jags, Jungle Jags)
1.1 Taiwanese Rats
2.1 Ball Pythons (normal/spider)
0.1 Arizonan Mountain King
0.1 Grey Banded King
0.1 Albino Cali king
1.0 Mex Black King
0.1 Pueblan Milk
0.0.1 Yellow Annie
1.0 Western hognose
0.2 BHS
0.1 Cape Coral
1.0 Shield Nose
0.1 Southern Brown Eggie
Miguel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 am

Second article is much better, luckily!
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am

Every time they kill the snake!! Why? If I killed a snake, even if it bit me I would have gotten the hiding of my life!
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Next