Rinkhals vs dog

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Rinkhals vs dog

Postby Pieter89 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi

My sister in law's dog had a bit of a run in with a rinkhals yesterday. They live on a farm close to Grahamstown and when they got home they found their Malamute had one swollen/closed eye. They washed it out and put in eye drops not knowing what it was. They then found the Rinkhals outside in the yard and took the dog to the Vet.

The Vet washed the eye and couldn't find any bite marks so they took the dog home. At home the dog started having fits. They took the dog to the vet again. The Vet gave some antivenom and put the dog on a drip overnight. The dog seemed fine today, but had some more seizures later on. They went to fetch some medication from the Vet again today that the dog has to stay on for the month...

Any ideas why the dog is getting seizures? The seizures only started happening quite a few hours after the run in with the snake.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rinkhals vs dog

Postby Pieter89 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm

The medication the Vet gave is Pax 10 and Sedabarb.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 am

I was contacted about this. The fits are not related to the snake venom. Venom is not absorbed and does not affect the system in any way. The antivenom was overkill as the venom had not entered the system.

It is possible that the snake did bite the dog and the fang punctures were not noticed. Usually you would have seen swelling around the bite.

Convulsions are not a normal symptom of snake bite by a Rinkhals either.

As I have said before each bite is different and anything is possible. Hope the dog recovers normally.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby JeffG » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Pieter,

I have a catch and release permit and am based in Grahamstown. If they see the snake again and it poses a threat to anyone you could send them my number and I will relocate it. If it has moved off and doesn't pose a threat all the better.

Regards,
Jeff
083 303 7548
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wallas » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 pm

How old is the dog
Wallas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 am