Snake bite from a Mildly venomous snake.

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Snake bite from a Mildly venomous snake.

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 am

Here's something interesting.

On Saturday the 8th November myself and a friend were doing some field herping in a small patch of veld in Glen Austin, Johannesburg.

We'd come across five or six snakes, some frogs and a few lizards.

We came across a snake around 750mm in length, i picked up the snake to take a closer look at it (knowing it's identity) it managed to bite me twice, first bite was just a quick on and off whilst the second bite the snake proceeded to bite down rather hard with some intent

Not being overly concerned i took perhaps 30 seconds to gentle remove the snake ( as to not damage it's teeth/mouth) from my left hand where it had attached itself just below the thumb.

The bite site bleed freely for 2-3 minutes.

At around 11:30pm Saturday evening the hand has swollen considerably, skin quite tight and a noticeable throbbing and a definite stiffness in the thumb where the bite occurred which was also quite uncomfortable.

These photo's where taken approximately 36 hours after the bite occurred.

So what can we deuce from this?
Personally i know scores of people who has no affect to bites of this snake
myself included but never to this extent.

Goes to show different snakes can have different affects on people.
Saying X snake won't cause you any harm because X person has been bitten before isn't always true.

Rhombic Skaapsteker - Psammophylax rhombeatus

Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Snake bite from a Mildly venomous snake.

Postby Mitton » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:55 am

With this damn postal strike my invite to go herping must still be on it's way! :twisted:
That is very interesting. I have been bitten by these a few times but always make sure to not let them hang on for long for this exact reason, you just never know.
Thanks for sharing.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks Tyrone for the post.
We all learn everyday.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Interesting, though I can't say that I'm surprised. I maintain that there are a few species believed to be only mildly venomous that can, in fact, inflict rather serious bites.
For this reason I take precaution not get bitten by any venomous snake, and also particularly avoid the back-fanged species hanging on.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Excellent series of photos.
Them Shoelaces
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Mitton wrote:With this damn postal strike my invite to go herping must still be on it's way! :twisted:
That is very interesting. I have been bitten by these a few times but always make sure to not let them hang on for long for this exact reason, you just never know.
Thanks for sharing.

Was a very spur of the moment mission Eugene but put it this way next time I'm up we should go check this spot out found some nice stuff there!

Funny enough i have suspicion there's some infection going on hence the swelling and discomfort not the results of the venom itself.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Fooble wrote:Funny enough i have suspicion there's some infection going on hence the swelling and discomfort not the results of the venom itself.

Hopefully nothing to hectic neh, those STI's can be a bummer!

Post some of the finds we are all eager to see what was found
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Nice one Fooble ;)

I once took a bite from Psammophis leightoni a few year back and had even a worse reaction than that. Mildly venomous??

I dont think the swelling and discomfort will be due to infection. I recon it's just the effects of the venom.

BTW, awesome Skaapie, very nice striped pattern, almost patternless. Did you get any decent pics of it?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Venom Club