medical aid

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Hey it is a medical pension. Kinda crazy in the head and I dont want to talk about it. Hee hee

Thanks BB now I really feel old.

Thanks for that info Boadicea. If it happens again I will get them to contact you and then you can give them hell.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BigT » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm

After reading this and funnily a discussion with mates over the weekend phoned my medical aid and they will cover me for venomous snake bites.
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 am

lol BV, that's what I said. And you are far from old... just so lucky to get paid for sitting at home :-P

BigT, what medical aid are you with?
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby BigT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 am

BB I am with Imperialmed which is Administered by Old Mutual it appears that they would treat it like any other accident( Didnt ask me where I was planning on being bitten by this venomous snake :D )
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:19 am

lol Okay.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Deon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am

This is the question I mailed to my Medical Aid Broker...
"Can you please find out for me if my medical aid will cover me in the event of a snake bite. (I keep venomous snakes)"

The response....

Hi Deon,

Discovery have confirmed that you will be covered for the snake bite from your MSA if you are not admitted to hospital and if you are admitted then you would be covered according to your plan type (100% Coastal ).
Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 pm

we disclosed that we are involved with handling potentially dangerous snakes and asked for a letter confirming that we would be covered, which we received. Seems the loophole in our case is that they have a list of "dangerous pastimes" which are not covered and they obviously think no-one would be silly enough to handle snakes so it never made it onto the list...and if its not on the list its covered! But we wanted the letter for our own peace of mind anyway
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 pm

My house insurance company wanted to load my share when they inspected and found a number of animals. I told them to show me credible statistics that keepers are more likely to die from being tagged than Joe soap.
The query when to the H/Q in the states. They admitted that there was not statistics that could be used to load my payment so compromised.
They said that is I was to be handicapped due to a bite I was not going to be covered. I think this was because in North America statistically it is more likely than not to get tagged by a pitviper.
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby Bushviper » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:56 am

Damn so they must be upset already. I mean with you being handicapped and all. Hee hee.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:20 pm

...... I mean with you being handicapped and all..

Handicapped is just so yesterday. I’ve always been some what challenged so the goods are not damaged but a little bruised. :twisted:
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby boing » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:31 am

I guess this is one area where I benefit - IOD covers me if I get bitten. They even paid for my tetanus shot when I was bitten by a mouse last year (when I had just started at Bayworld and the day after we were discussing the need for me to have a Tetanus shot...)

The guys at the hospital couldnt believe I was there on IOD for a mouse bite... Of course, when they discovered where I worked they just thought I was mad!!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:02 pm

Boing be careful and make sure you are covered for anything that happens after hours too. If you are "off-duty" when you get a snake call and you get bitten you might not be covered with the IOD.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby boing » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 am

I dont actually respond to calls out of work hours, or even in work hours. We have to forward the calls to other guys here (Telscopus is our main source) but we are liasing with Nature Conservation to set up something with them. My supervisors wont let us leave Bayworld to respond to calls!!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club