new treatment??

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

new treatment??

Postby Iggy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:13 am

was reading an article on snake-bite in a tourism magazine, written by Simon King...in it he states that "while effective, antivenom has problems and can be dangerous, this may soon be solved by new treatments coming on the market" (the quote is not exact as I don't have the mag in front of me). Further down it mentions that in "part 2" exciting new treatments will be discussed...however the magazine only come out something like twice a year and now I'm curious....anyone know anything about these emerging snakebite treatments????
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phish » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:05 pm

do a search on "DNA vaccination" or read this article:

http://dnavaccine.com/modules.php?name= ... e&sid=1413

This is still years away however ...
I spent most of my money on fishing, booze, and women. The rest I just wasted.
---------------------------------------------
http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com/
phish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:44 pm

There are not any new treatments that are going to come on the market any time soon. The vaccination is still only in theoretical form and will take many years of testing to be accepted.

Snake bite is a low profile medication and while there is a treatment the organisations like the FDA or MCC will not give these potential solutions the attention they deserve.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Venom Club