Rattler

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Rattler

Postby Death-Skull » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi

What rattlesnakes are avaliable in SA??
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Western diamondbacks, easterns, uracoans, pygmys,cascabels,banded rock rattlers, and more. any others i'm missing everyone?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 am

Just be careful you do not get suckered either. There are people selling "Hetero for albino rattlesnakes" which have no wierd genetics. Get a written guarantee and microchip the snake so that there is no confusion.

Watch out for "High yellow" Eastern diamondbacks or "Peach" Western Diamond backs. These are snakes that are a slightly different colour and not a recognised morph.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Hellemar » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:13 am

Hi...

What is a "cascabel" ? Is it some kind of Crotalus durissus sp ?
I know that cascabels is the spanish word for rattlesnake...

Henke :)
Survival is the only game worth winning...
Hellemar
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Serpy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Hellemar it's the other name for the neo tropical rattlesnake if i'm not mistaken. Deathskull the "peach" rattlers are also sometimes sold as red rattle snakes, they're normal westerns so don't be fooled, i bought so called peach rattlers come have a look sometime.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:14 pm

I've seen a Uracoan rattler this weekend. They are just amazingly beautifull. How much do you guys know about them? How much are they going for?
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MacAdder » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Western diamond Back (Crotalus atrox)

MacAdder
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:20 pm

Henke - The cascabel is a name used for the Neo Tropical rattlers, (Crotalus durissus terrificus i think)

Serpy - Are you sure Banded Rock Rattlers (klauberi?) are available in SA? I know of 2 people with them but dont know of any for sale before.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 am

hi all i found: albino westerns and cascabels 4 sale
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am

Yes, i would also like to know how many people breed banded rocks??? Always been on my wish list along with the Red diamond Rattler (C. Rubber).

First time i actually saw one (Banded Rock) in a SA collection, it was the one that died in Pythonodipsas's fire. I'm sure there are plenty more breeders we dont know about!

What are their going rates?

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi,

I have looked very hard for other breeders or even keepers of C. l. klauberi and only managed to find one Guy. He frequents these forums but may not want me to let you know who he is.

In the fire, I lost my male. Luckily my female survived and she looks somewhat gravid. I am not sure though. She didn't eat for months and then took a mouse this past week. She is due to shed and so I am holding thumbs that she leaves me some little gifts after shedding.

Crotalus ruber is also on top of my list. I don't think too many people have them but the late Peter Korner used to have, so maybe someones got.

Occasionaly other rattlers are available locally. I have seen: C. atricaudatus (canebreak), C. mitchelli pyrrus (blue speckled), C. mitchelii stephensi (red speckled), C. enyo enyo (? dont know english), C. basiliscus and on the Neotropical side I have seen C. durrisus terrificus, C. d. culminatus (the best IMO), C. d. cumanensis and C. simus.

A few years back I had a nice black rattler (C. cerberus) that is still alive and well at Purevenom.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Return to Venom Club