Dont make this mistake

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Dont make this mistake

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Touch wood, Ive never been bitten by a venemous snake before, but I would like to share something.

Tonight was feeding time again, and I had to do a bit of tease feeding where really needed......
One of the more venemous specimens struck the food item a few times before holding on to it.

Before the snake finally took it I removed the dead prey from the cage to get a better grip on it with my tweezers.

After removing it from the cage I almost picked up the 'wet' item with my hand.
(There was some venom on the tweezers too)

I think theres always that small chance of having a fresh cut on the finger whilst handling such food items or gear.

Might be seen as a 'low' risk, but I think if you have my luck then I its worth a thought.
Chau :D
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
User avatar
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 1674
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:51 pm
Location: Gauteng my deng

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:11 am

After reading the piece about the allergic reaction to venom I think it would be wise to be more careful.

Over the weekend I got some venom in my mouth (dont ask) and am having problems at the moment with bleeding gums, (medication and injury). Getting venom in the mouth while doing talks happens often however this time I had a decent headache and a wicked tingling sensation in my mouth and on my lips.

I remember that Paul Olsen used to enjoy licking Rinkhals venom off the glasses during demos especially if there were impressionable young ladies in the audience. Who knows if that did not have an influence on his condition? Not everyone is aware of the fact that he had been bitten before and still had a fasciotomy scar on the back of his hand from a puff adder bite.

Now I am even more worried about getting bitten by anything. Surely if I am going to show an allergic reaction it is just as likely from a Herald bite or picking up some food that has been bitten and left?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
User avatar
Bushviper
Founder Member
 
Posts: 17358
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Pretoria

Postby swazi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi BV

"this time I had a decent headache and a wicked tingling sensation in my mouth and on my lips" what venom was it? You must be very careful - keep those epi-pens handy!

Paul Olsen = who's he or am I going to be embarrassed for asking?
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
User avatar
swazi
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: Swaziland

Postby phish » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 pm

swazi wrote:Paul Olsen = who's he or am I going to be embarrassed for asking?


As i recall Paul Olsen was killed by a snouted cobra bite while doing a demo at the old Tvl Snake Park ... or do i have my paul's confused? <scratches head>
I spent most of my money on fishing, booze, and women. The rest I just wasted.
---------------------------------------------
http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com/
User avatar
phish
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Swazi in the thread about allergies you posted the following:

"A few years ago in a Transvaal Snake Park in South Africa, a snake handler died after an Egyptian cobra bit him on the left wrist during a public demonstration. The handler, Paul St. John Olsen, 25, reported the incident immediately but soon after lost consciousness. Within 10 minutes of the bite, paramedics and even a doctor were on the scene. But despite the rapid administration of an antivenin and attempts to resuscitate him, his condition continued to deteriorate. He was rushed to a hospital by ambulance, where ER staff continued attempts to resuscitate him for several hours. But he died without ever regaining consciousness. His death was later attributed to anaphylaxis."

That is the same Paul you referred to. A really nice guy and fun to be around.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
User avatar
Bushviper
Founder Member
 
Posts: 17358
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Pretoria

Postby Q Ball » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Good point Gaboon69.

I use a set of dedicated braai tongs for the larger species in my collection, Venomous or not ;)

BV Hope you recover soon. We will need you charged and ready for action on the 17th ;)
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
User avatar
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: Kemptonpark

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:07 am

What's happening on the 17th??
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
User avatar
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin
 
Posts: 10591
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Pretoria

Postby Q Ball » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Teazers :twisted:

Just kidding BB. I had my dates mixed up for the year end function :oops: My bad. Almost had to cancel a seminar ;)
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
User avatar
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: Kemptonpark

Postby MrG » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Teazers ????? Do you get snakes there ???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Looks like you have to be carefull in whatever you do.
Anaphylaxis is a very serious condition.I treated a lot of patients with it and to see them suffer and battle to breath is not nice.
_______________________________
www.photog.co.za
We make the moment last a lifetime!
User avatar
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: West-Rand

Misinformed re. Paul Olsen

Postby ellolsen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Excuse me for adding to this post a few years down the line but as Paul Olsen's sister I feel that some of the comments above need to be addressed. Dear 'Bushviper', I am not sure who you are or how well you really did know him but I can assure you that Paul was not reckless in any way when dealing with reptiles, especially venomous snakes. To portray him as some kind of reckless person who was out to impress females is a gross misrepresentation of someone who was entirely not of that nature. If you had known him, you would not have made such a comment. In addition, any 'licking' of venom did not affect his condition and the previous bite from a puff adder was known by the medical staff and he was sent to the same hospital.

Please do not be so frivolous regarding someone who is no longer around to defend himself.
ellolsen
SA Reptiles Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Re: Dont make this mistake

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Ellolsen: I mean no disrespect to Paul in any way or form. I would not have said "A really nice guy and fun to be around" if he was not someone I admired and respected.

I considered him a friend and a colleague and spent hours drinking and singing with him besides the road cruising and work we did as well. He taught me many things which I still use today.

I personally saw Paul do the glass licking and I did not mean that he was reckless. We did not know about anaphylaxis at the time and I also did it once at a demo.

The puffadder that bit him was actually mine and on loan at the time so I felt really really bad about it.

Please accept my apologies to you and your family if you feel insulted as I did not intend to portray him as a maverick although he loved to push the envelope. His photography and paintings were not run of the mill and nor was he. We were a lot younger and the knowledge we have available today was unknown then. I still believe he could have been saved and often wonder what "might have been". I have spoken to Dave Morgan who was with him at the time about the incident and we still argue as to whether the treatment was adequate. With what we know today I believe he could have pulled through.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
User avatar
Bushviper
Founder Member
 
Posts: 17358
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Pretoria


Return to Venom Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron