Puff adder kills yorkshire terrier

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:02 pm

apparently it works very well, except for the dogs with big killing instincts, i'm not sure on the exact method of shocking they use.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Robain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 am

On kids? I dunno, I havn't got any "test subjects". Would you like to borow it? It is made from reinforced "Chew Proof" (although my Dobies have prooved otherwise) plastic... so it is good for teething too!
Robain
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Robain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:45 am

Back to the subject though, has anyone treated a dog for snakebite successfully? I think Yorkies stand no chance, due to their size, but what about bigger dogs like Boer Bull and Dobermins etc? they should be able to hang in there long enough to get treated. Does anyone know what vets hold antivenom and also how much should be administrated and how? can dogs have reactions to the venom?
Robain
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Dogs can be treated with SAVP antivenom very effectively. I have lost about 10 ampoules to vets for use of dogs this year alone. They are having trouble replacing the antivenom with new stock.

Last week the doggie was a staffie type dog with a serious snouted cobra bite. Weak and shaking wehn I got there. I thought she was a gonner but two ampoules and a huge drip of ringers lactate overnight and she was wagging her tail and went home the next day.

I have seen a minature dobberman take a full snouted cobra bite on the head and survive. She had brain damage but lived. Dogs have far higher resistance to snake venoms than humans or prey items.

To date I have not had an allergic reaction to antivenom from any dog that has been treated. Usually two ampoules of antivenom in a drip of ringers lactate is enough. One ampoule infused every 7 to 10 minutes usually reverses the effects of the venom.

Expired antivenom works wonders in dogs so if it has been in the fridge the whole time this is perfect in these cases. I have not had a single adverse effect from expired antivenom which was kept correctly. We are talking 30 ampoules at this stage and each one was a success.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Robain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:10 pm

That is good to know, I think loosing a dog that has been with a person for a few years, regardless of how, is probably one of the hardest things to endure.
Robain
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff adder kills yorkshire terrier

Postby mailjvdb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:48 am

I know this post is a bit outdated... But i really had to say i found this a bit disturbing. All animals deserve respect, and some of these comments can be compared in a way to the old folk killing wild dogs on site just for being "ruthless vicious" animals. Dogs come from wolves, and even though they have been with man for thousands of years, they will always have that "killing" or rather curious instinct in them them, just as a Cobra or Puff Adder will almost most surely strike if provoked. If anyone can be blamed, it is man, as usual, as we have been breeding dogs purposely for stuff like protection (this would include killing a snake as the dog instinctively perceives the snake as a danger) and in the hay-days dogs on farms that killed snakes was seen as good dogs and their offspring was usually noted as coming from a snake-killer, or what-ever-killer. Thus it is us who intentionally bred these dogs to do such...

Now; I love snakes, but I'm also very fond of dogs. I have a very curious 1½ year old Boerboel female called Tess, whom i love to death, and would sell my car to save from death if i have to! She's not a dog to me but a member of my family! Since we live on a plot where i catch at least 2 Snouties a year (not talking about the puffies and the occasional Boem-slang :D passing through our property) i can't help but fear for her safety. She also has a very bold and ever-curious personality and is always interested in everything and anything. Just the thought of her encountering such a snake while i'm not near to avoid conflict almost drives me crazy with worry, and i don't even want to imagine how that would affect my life! That doesn't mean i want to see the snakes harmed in anyway, as i am so aware that we are just visitors in THEIR habitat and i have a tremendous love for these animals, and any snake killed is a tragedy, but i think it's the responsibility of the owner in training and spending time with your dog, and teaching him/her what is good and what is not, and also knowing your dog and when a bark is serious or not. But in the end dogs will be dogs!

Tess doesn't seem to show more than the usual interest in my collection of snakes, although she always likes to try and have a sniff at them (something i discourage), but last year she spotted a snoutie entering the house and alerted me by barking frantically, this could have been very tragic if i had not known about our visitor...

I would really appreciate any numbers or any helpful advice/anyone who can assist me in the case that my beloved companion gets bitten, as i'm more concerned for her safety than my own. I'd like to make a list i can put up so my entire household can see what to do, or whom to call in the event that i am not home. I live 10minutes from Onderstepoort veterinary hospital (10 min North of PTA North), but i don't always have too much trust in the students there, as they usually are more clever than the books they study from... I once asked a student vet on a regular check up there what i should do in the case of a serious snake bite to my dogs, and she said to leave it, to just make sure she has water and warmth, and that she'll probably sweat it out!!! Sounds ridiculous if a large (or any size for that matter) Snouted Cobra is involved! So i doubt i'll put my trust in them if push comes to shove,world acclaimed or not. Seeing a dog die of any poisoning is such a nasty sight, quick or not, and it will haunt you forever!
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

You can try Onderstepoort and insist on getting treatment for your dog. If they try the "water and sweat" bit just take the dog to Vet911 on Zambezi road. If it is during the day you can go down Zambezi road to where it crosses the Moloto road and the vet there will help you and probably phone me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mailjvdb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks Bushviper!I'll make note of that :)
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club