Puff adder kills yorkshire terrier

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Postby mania » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 pm

any dog has the potential to kill a snake or any other animal...that doesn't make it a bad dog, just a dog acting as a dog

Iggy I couldn't agree with you more...As we had two dogs (a labrador and ridgeback) that we keep on our farm that would always bark like mad when they came across a snake. Our gardener phoned us one day to take the dogs to the vet as they were bitten by a puffy and the dogs heads swelled up that they looked like a Boerboel or something and the vet gave them some stuff(not sure what) and after a few days their swelling went down.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 am

Breeding any dogs is just wrong when so many animals have to be killed by people such as the spca, i hate backyard breeders. If dogs were in demand and places like the SPCA were half empty i would say fine but when people breed for monetary gain and nothing else then it is sad. I cry nearly every time i go to the spca seeing all those poor faces waiting to die because there is no homes for them, whilst puppy factories are pumping dogs out like flies.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:38 am

The other day we received a frantic call from someone who had a mamba in his garden, their 3 dogs had surrounded the snake and were barking and snapping at it. The snake tried desperately to get away before it stood its ground and fought back.

20 minutes later we had the snake bagged as well as 2 dead dogs. The third dog died 15 minutes later. The snake died a week later, it had been bitten several times on the back.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:24 am

At least the mamba watched the dogs sign out first.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby swazi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:05 pm

The dogs were actually quite nice. A sausage dog, a staffie and a pavement special. The staffie died a terrible death, broke my heart to watch. Luckily it was very quick.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:42 am

Um generally a person would get their dogs away from any danger and not let them near the snake.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:08 am

In Swaziland most locals have this philosophy. If your dog charges a mamba, you leave it. Cause if you call it back, you distract it and your dog ends up dead. And believe me most people have lost at least one dog due to snake bite. Just before I left Swaziland ,my friends lost their Alsatian. He was a renowned mamba killer, but you can't always win

We all love snakes and most of us love dogs. So if there's a mamba in your yeard its a stuff up. Someone's going to die.
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:29 am

Now there is a mamba in Swaziland which is a renowned as an Alsatian killer!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:06 am

WW wrote:Shame about the puffie. If people keep these snake-food sized yappy-rats in puffie country, then surely they should build snake-proof enclosures for them or keep them indoors.

Sorry if that sounds insensitive, I guess I'm not a Yorkie fan...

Cheers,

WW

:lol: :smt018 I shall show this to my wife as we have two yorkies , you cruel cruel man :smt022 ;)

In all honesty, I was always a big dog fan untill we got our two yorkies and now I love 'em to bits! Ours are fully trained , obedient and do not yap
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 am

I dont even eat Yorkshire pudding, I am never sure what these things are made of. Puddings like "Blood pudding" "Spotted dick" and now "Yorkshire pudding" just makes me wary.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:49 am

Hehe, Toad in the hole has to be a major concern
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 am

lol @ BV!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby WW » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 am

:lol: :smt018 I shall show this to my wife as we have two yorkies , you cruel cruel man :smt022 ;)

In all honesty, I was always a big dog fan untill we got our two yorkies and now I love 'em to bits! Ours are fully trained , obedient and do not yap

LOL - I had hoped to offend someone with that comment, but I didn't have your wife and you in mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

BV - have you tried haggis? ;)

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am

:lol: Nah, not really offended ;) I just have this vision of my wife grabbing your ear and giving it a twist saying, :smt075 "Naughty Wolfgang, apologise this instant" :smt043

I recieved the very same treatment when she brought one home as a puppy and I made the usual , "Ahhh Gabby food " joke ;)

Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm

Yum.. spotted dick... better than cake.

Anybody tried lava bread? I guess you have to be Welsh to appreciate it.

My dog, Dan, a springer spaniel who was my best friend, when he spotted a snake he just sat on his arse and whined and look at me as if to say 'Well"?

This was with UK adders and the like, but when he came to SA hed did exactly the same with puffies and cobras.
He never could make out what a tortoise was though.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club