Atractaspis bibronii bite.

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Atractaspis bibronii bite.

Postby rubida » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Received this article via my brother in Witbank….Atractaspis bibronii bite, ouch!

For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Apparently many kids catch these and get bitten as they are thought to be harmless. Don't play with things you don't know about.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby slangman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 pm

a mate of mine that used to join us on herp trips when we were in STD 4 , pulled a 'herald' out the pool at school and when the stilletto tagged him , he spent 2 weeks in hosi ! The deputy head then dropped a brick on the snakes head !

i also have an article of 3 lads all bitten from the same stilletto . Wonder if i can find it anywher as the pic is quite comical .
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:16 am

There is a bit of a tale to this story. The kid got bitten and despite having various expert opinions available the child was given SAVP antivenom! In this day and age I thought there was not too much education left to do out there but this makes me realise we have lots of work to do.

They contacted me on the Tuesday to ask my opinion. My opinion could not however be placed here because I think Fidel Castro would be a tad upset what I think of the medical training in Cuba.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 am

I know most SA doctors are discouraged from using antivenom for unknown bites but I often wonder whether the Cubans/ other nationality doctors are also trained to do that?
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 am

That is the problem. They should not be practising here and these are just one of the reasons.

The person who contacted me about the bite said that it was a cuban doctor however I have not had this confirmed. I would not be amazed if it was a local doctor either though.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MV » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 am

I got bitten by one 6 years back...it hurts like hell.

Luckily(or unluckily) I realised what snake this was after it bit me, (it was a hasty catch as it was almost ran over by a bulldozer) so possitve snake ID stopped them from doing anything stupid.
Spent a week in the Hospital(where I could only play Game-Boy, as they bandaged my hand in such a way that it was all the hand could do...) :D
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club