Two types of Venomous keepers

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Two types of Venomous keepers

Postby BigT » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 pm

I would really appreciate some input from the more experienced venmous keepers on the forums. Some mates of mine and I have an ongoing debate/argument. We have all heard the old saying 2 types of venomous keepers those who have been bitten and those who will be.

I mantain that it is possible to keep venomous and never be bitten as long as you constantly mantain the correct protocols ,my mate feels that it is almost gaurenteed that at some stage you will receive a bite. Personaly i feel it is like gun safety guns dont just go off short of the ridiculloudsly rare mechanical failure firearm accidents are due to someone disregarding the 3 basic safety rules. I think that keeping venomous is the same in that generally when you hear about a bite it involves a mistake on the keepers side. Please understand I MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BITTEN as we all make mistakes.

I am just curious and would really appreciate the input of the experience available here. Please forgive my spelling I am typing on my phone.
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Unfortunately complacency does set in.
If you can stay focused etc. you should never get bit. Guys that don't overestimate their ability, follow proper safety procedures etc. shouldn't get bit.
All of us that has been nailed (me included) did something wrong, either rushing something or taking an unneccesary risk.

There is no job in a snake cage that can't wait till tomorrow
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Sensitive topic: Saying that one will eventually get bitten is saying it is sort of OK when it does happen (I know that this is not your intention T). The reality is that with increased frequency comes increased risk. We can only learn from those whom have had this experience and are willing to share it.

Not even Chuck Norris is bulletproof ;)
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Establish a set of protocols for your own situation, henceforth that will be your bible.
I could list examples but its mainly down to common sense.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby mfezi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:50 pm

getting bitten by an animal, venomous or not, is the biggest failure as an animal handler. This is my experience from the veterinary field. That being said, accidents happen, but identifying these problems before they occur can help you better identify them before they happen and take evasive action. Protocols protocols protocols

. I will say this, bites are far more acceptable in SA than in the USA, and while i don't keep my bites secret, its a huge negative in my career. The reason i posted that rattler bite of mine was to show that bites do happen, and they are not ok!!

don
www.mfezi.com

"All things considered,there are two kinds of people in the world: those who stay at home and those who do not.The second are most interesting....."

-Rudyard Kipling
mfezi
Photo of the Month Winner

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Keeping any type of wild animal or any other animal for that matter in captivity can and may lead to an accidental bite from the animal.

Can you garuntee that when you have a license to drive a motor car that you will never be the cause of an accident? The same applies here, although we strive not to get bitten accidents do happen and we can only learn from ours and other's mistakes.

The saying goes that "experienced" snake keepers run a less chance of getting bitten. Be this as it may, how doe you become experienced? You start out with little or no experience.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby mfezi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Well, you can get experiance with night adders, instead of diamond backs.... And with aspidelaps instead of mambas

Don
www.mfezi.com

"All things considered,there are two kinds of people in the world: those who stay at home and those who do not.The second are most interesting....."

-Rudyard Kipling
mfezi

Postby dendroaspis » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 am

Good point mfezi
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby damiensharjah » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Bernie Keyter, founder of TSP was never bitten in his life, and he probably handled more venomous snakes that all of us on the forum. My brother's had his fair share of venomous snakes over 20 years and has never been bitten.

So yes. You are right. Just as soon as we acknowledge that snakes are wildlife and not pets.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mfezi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:33 pm

every rule has its exceptions... to bank on not getting bitten is a bad idea.. but to be ready is a good one
www.mfezi.com

-Rudyard Kipling
mfezi

Re: Two types of Venomous keepers

Postby ljd » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:05 pm

To the best of my knowledge Rod Patterson also never got bitten he ran the tsp for numerous years and did plenty shows.
ljd
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club