Help with Juvie Day Geckos

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Help with Juvie Day Geckos

Postby Brennanm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey,

I will be receiving 2 juvie madagascan day geckos tonight (Possible breeding pair). I have already set up their enclosure to the best of my knowledge and with the help of plenty research.
As you can imagine they were quite expensive and it is very important to me that these beautiful creatures have the best quality of life possible.

I will post some pics of the setup i have made for them. Will you guys please have a look and let me know what you think and any advise that you can give me. And also if there is anything in the setup that you think i need to remove or add.

My tank is a full glass tank with small slider doors at the back and an air vent on the roof. From the bottom up: I have lay down a small amount of organic potting soil on the floor and placed some water grass and "peace in the home" ground cover at the back of the tank. There is a heater pad running across the bottom of the tank in the back corner. I then made a layer on the floor of 50% sphagnum moss and 50% bark pieces. I have some decor in there as well as 2 thick pieces of bamboo for them to climb on.
Then i hung some fake plants from the roof just for some foliage.
I have installed a digital hygrometer and digital thermometer away from the heater and on opposite corners of the tank. I have tried misting the tank (not too much) with a mister bottle once a day but when i do that, the whole tank mists up a bit much and the humidity reads about 91%. I am in JHB and it is very hot here at the moment so is misting necessary at this point?

I heard that it might be useful to get a small pump and run an air line into the tank just so there is constant fresh air. Is this a good idea?

Here are some pictures so please have a look and let me know if all is ok :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help with Juvie Day Geckos

Postby Brennanm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brennanm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

One more :)
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Just make sure the pump does not make the cage vibrate. Do you know how hot and humid it is in Madagascar now? You can spray the cage!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi,

So how the setup going. Looks good. Post some updated pics soon, none of the day geckos?

C
http://www.reptilepets.co.za/reptilegarden/rg_main.htm
Gargoyle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Don't know much about keeping these gecko's, so I can't help you there. I just wanted to tell you that aesthetically your cage looks great! Well done on that front!!
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards