All Over Namibia

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: All Over Namibia

Postby Westley Price » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 am

Thanx for the comments guys.

I am also super happy with the File find; I found a few dead ones in 2010, but this is my first live one.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

Generally I'm not fond of photographing venomous colubrids, too fast and skittish, but Spitters even more so!

Last night I found this young N. mossambica. Didn't really want to photograph it, but gave it a quick go this morning.

I got off quite well. Just a hand and forehead full of venom, haha.

Newer/younger/inexperienced guys, please use all correct protective equipment when photographing Spitters and Rinkhals. This includes eye protection, generally a full face shield, but large sunglasses without gaps around the sides do suffice. Also check your legs and hands for any cuts, scratches etc. And wash all exposed skin with large amounts of water after exposure to venom, still being careful of cuts/scratches and your eyes.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby @ndy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am

Wow really nice photos westley !
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 am

Great photos.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanx guys.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MrG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Great photos. Thx for sharing West
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Awesome shots!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm

westley wrote:Newer/younger/inexperienced guys, please use all correct protective equipment when photographing Spitters and Rinkhals. This includes eye protection, generally a full face shield, but large sunglasses without gaps around the sides do suffice. Also check your legs and hands for any cuts, scratches etc. And wash all exposed skin with large amounts of water after exposure to venom, still being careful of cuts/scratches and your eyes.

.... and don't do it at all if you have reason to believe that you may be allergic to venom. If I am not very much mistaken, a member of this forum passed away after being spat in the face, from an anaphylactic shock, i.e., allergy.

Great photos, Westley!
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

True WW. Should have thought of that also. I recall another member mentioning burning eyes and trouble breathing just from being in a room where a Spitter had a go at the glass enclosure.

Ironic that I get more responses for a common Moz Spitter than for an Angolan Garter and Angolan File, but I guess preferences differ, haha ;)
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby WW » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 am

westley wrote:True WW. Should have thought of that also. I recall another member mentioning burning eyes and trouble breathing just from being in a room where a Spitter had a go at the glass enclosure.

Ironic that I get more responses for a common Moz Spitter than for an Angolan Garter and Angolan File, but I guess preferences differ, haha ;)

I have a long history of upsetting people by being as happy or more so to see common, big, ugly, brown snakes as rare, pretty snakes. Nearly got lynched on my first trip to Arizona when someone said they could tell me places to find Crotalus willardi and I expressed a preference for seeing a western diamondback.... :lol: :lol:
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Westley

Just wanted to say, I follow the thread from time to time. Very neat animals and even neater photos! I have definitely never seen an angolan file - they look nothing like our cape file snake
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Very unusual looking spitter. Very light coloured. The belly also looks cream. What locality was this snake from?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanx Guys

Arno, it's from between Grootfontein and Tsumeb.

It was light, but maybe that is because it's still a young specimen. It was probably 40cm long.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Kev » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 pm

I love it when I open up SAReptiles and there are updates to this post!
Once again thanks for sharing Westley and keep them coming.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanx Kev. It's good to know the posts are appreciated.

Last night I got this BHS. It was an interesting specimen; sort of a mix between capensis and mentalis. The others that I have found here were pure capensis. I didnt expect to see the mentalis influence so far north.

Or maybe I'm just imagining the resemblance to mentalis. What's your opinions?

The top image is probably one of my favourites I have taken of BHS!
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

PreviousNext

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification