chameleons still in our garden

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

chameleons still in our garden

Postby 24088847 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 pm

My dad lives in southern suburbs in Cape town and every now and then he finds a chameleon wondering his garden. This morning while he was working in his veggie patch he came accross two chams basking in the sunlight! Its so great to see these guys still in the area. These two seem to be very established because he sees them from time to time and seem in great health. One even caught a fly while my sister in law was watching.

Such a blessing and at least our garden has a lot of various vegetation and places to protect them from predators :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA Reptiles Member

Re: chameleons still in our garden

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Lucky, I saw them from time to time in Stellenbosch, found 4 the other day, I have a video of one eating a dragonfly
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 am

Awesome dude!
When I still lived in Cape Town we also had a few in our garden. Such wonderful creatures to have around.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

I live in Durbanville, saw one in the past 5 years here, and in Sbosch I found atleast 50 in one year, once found 5 in a single day, usualy I move them to sbosch nature reserve as they are safer there than in the streets, and also if found near the botanical gardens I try to release them in the gardens also safer than outside, but still leaving plenty outside for the people to see these wonderful transforming animals.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I also lived in Durbanville, our garden was like a jungle so thats probably why I found some each year.
The ones I didnt see in our garden were usually pancakes on the roads.
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Shadowfoot, I will get pictures of our garden, looks like chameleon heaven but it is vacant :d, and also, we had a lot of them back in the mid to late 1990s and start 2000s, up until 2002 then again for a while in 2004 - 2007 we lived in oakdale when at the neighbors you saw them in abuncance, and then when we moved, the people across the road had a lot breeding in their yard
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 am

Cool man, I remember when I small you use to find them everywhere, especially babies. Now you are lucky to still find them in the suburbs. I think I have a pic on here somewhere of one...
Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=28200
That little guy is still in my father's garden on the exact same bush, weird how he hasnt moved on.
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mike from Cape Town » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Guys

I've found it very interesting and inspiring reading the discussions. Thats why I joined this group.

I have spent the last 4 years converting my garden to indigenous species. It is thriving but sadly I have not come across any chameleons...and that was one of my objectives.

I do have a cat. I realise this could be the problem but I don't think it is because I also have HUNDREDS of geckoes roaming around seemingly unmollested. And I have never seen a squashed chameleon in my neighbourhood. Could it be that there aren't any in the area? (Gardens, Cape Town)!?

I don't want to support the trade in wild animals and I don't want to bring in specimens from other areas (I've read all about the issues of introducing non-local genes into the local fynbos gene pool and I'm sure it applies to fauna, too).

However, for me the whole purpose of creating an indigenous garden is to help create a green corridor into the city so that local indigenous animals and insects can extend their range. I really would like to see some Dwarf Chameleons benefiting from this.

Any comments, suggestions, advice?
Mike from Cape Town
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 pm

It is great that you are trying to create a little bit of nature. Unfortunately the chameleons have to get to your garden and that might be where the problem lies. Cars and other predators between you and their natural habitat might be stopping them getting to you. Just keep doing what you are doing and they might one day surprise you. Put out feelers to your nursery neighbours and possibly they might have a lost one that would do better at your place than where they find it. A few kilometres will not be a massive chance for them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification