Subspecies?

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Subspecies?

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

I was wondering if there is anywhere that I could get some reliable information on the currently recognised reptile and amphibian subspecies in Southern Africa.

Maybe I am out of my depth, but I am really determined to get my identifications right.

What I am looking for is an up to date list that experts (or most of them) agree on.

I have been using the SARCA virtual museum a lot to help with my identifications, but have been told that some of the animals that I have identified to the level of subspecies are no longer recognised as a sub-species but elevated to a single species. Then occasionally I identify the animal to a the species level and I am told that there is another level of identification that I omitted... the sub-species. This happens a lot on iSpot.

I am not trying to be the best at being right, I am just genuinely interested in getting my head around these classifications. I have all the field guides and try and keep up with new additions. At the moment I am using Branch 1998, Marais 2004 and Alexander and Marais 2007 for reptiles and du Preez and Carruthers 2009 and Channing 2001 (even thought the species names are outdated it is excellent for identification).

Any help in the form of websites, papers I can try and find or books will be appreciated.

I know there was a thread on new names, but I don't think this falls under there. If I have posted this topic in the wrong place I apologise.

Thanks.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Subspecies?

Postby TJ&ACP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 am

Look on REPTILE VENTURES website, Johan added a list that was recently been updated.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 am

Here's a link to the section on the forum where these changes are discussed (although very stagnant lately).

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10708

And here is the link to Johan's list:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/124624895/Reptiles-of-Southern-Africa-Species-List-Feb-2013

You will see this was published in February this year so very up to date.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

Great. Thanks a lot.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification