[PHOTO HEAVY] Road Trip - The Karoo|Western|and|Eastern Cape

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: [PHOTO HEAVY] Road Trip - The Karoo|Western|and|Eastern

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Dude your camera skills are mental. What an awesome trip. Tent tortoise was a very special find. Really like the closeup of the Herald. Probably my favourite image of the lot, but don't hold me to it. Just awesome.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri May 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Insane. Love the Knysna Dwarf.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby levi_20 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 am

Wow incredible photos, thanks.
levi_20
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ralph Genth » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Fooble
I came across your article whilst searching for a photo of a common brown water snake for proper species identification of a poor murky photo my friend from Germany had taken of a "black mamba" at Thendele. I get a lot of overseas visitors that are naturally worried about snakes and I always tell them, that seeing a snake on our trips is the cherry on top of the wildlife heap we are sure to experience.During my past 50 years in South Africa, I have spend a lot of time in the wild, but during this time I have not seen 50 live snakes in the wild. On this last trip we spent 4 days in the Kruger Park and saw 34! lion between Phalaborwa and Malelane Gates - but no snake, We spend 3 days in Hluhluwe/Umfolozi and brought our tally of White Rhino from 14 in Kruger to a total of 79! - but no snakes - nor a Black Rhino. On the second last day of our 32 day/3946km trip my friend saw finally a snake in the water as she crossed a small stream, but I was walking ahead and missed it. Hence, as far as I'm concerned your trip yielded an extraordinary amount of snake sightings and exceptional good photographs.

Your photo of the Common Brown Water Snake was a bit a letdown, because it clearly confirmed that my friend's photo was not a "black mamba"
Ralph Genth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Emerald » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

That is a dream trip....really cool...
Rather live 1 day as a lion than your entire life as a sheep...
Emerald
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification