Psychology and snakes???

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Psychology and snakes???

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:57 pm

HI guys

Well I'm undergoing a so called "mid study crisis" :smt017 . I have no idea where to go after I have graduated.
But having a love for snakes I really want to combine my two interests:
Snakes and psychology.

I'm currently 2nd year studying sport psychology don't ask me why. I want to do my Honors in psychology.
Now what I want to know from you guys is the the following:
Say for instance you are bitten by a snake and its severe, what psychological scars would you have if you had to spend say a week in hospital. For sure you will have a fear of snakes, if you're just a normal guy that happen to stumble across a snake on a bush walk, after your experience.

So my plans are as follow to get my degree in sport psychology and then work in the Herpetology field getting experience and the knowledge from snake bite victims while I'm doing my honors in psychology. Will it not be easier to treat a patient psychologically if you have a allot of background knowledge?
So I will visit patients in their hospital beds and start therapy asap just like heart attack victims for example.

Is there a market for this? Do you guys think it can work? :smt017
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Psychology and snakes???

Postby atropos » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:16 am

Interesting idea but whether there is a market for it or not i have no idea. Perhaps, like you mentioned, you should speak to people who have or are being treated to get their personal opinion on whether they think it will be of benefit. Maybe you could try and do a study relating to how people are after surviving a bite and whether or not they show any symptoms of trauma. Or maybe you could counsel the snakes to see how they feel after their own near death experience with a two legged ape type creature...you'd have to take an extra course in snake linguistics though of course:)
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 pm

LOL @ Guu!

Im sure you could make a nice study project out of it... The psycological trauma associated with snake bite and treatment? the prevelance of post traumatic stress disorder? you could even branch out into a demographic study... to see if there is a marked difference in the way certain ethnic population groups, or even income groups of people react to snake bites... (lets get VERY controversial and relate levels of education and knowledge of snakes to the overall psycological reaction)

The problem is doing this for a living... you might not get any.. or at lease not a lot... of money out of it (exept maybe in Hollywood)

The main thing is to have fun!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:04 pm

Why limit it to snake bites? I'm sure everyone ahs seen the programme "Deadly Dozen - Africa" on DSTV - watched it again last night and they spoke a game ranger guy who was attacked and mauled by Lions. I am sure that must have caused quite a bit of emotional trauma for the guy.

I also have a friend whose daughter was attacked by dogs. 150 stiches. Afterwards she didn't even want to go close to a bunny because "it could bite". her mom took her for therapy after the incident. So if you want to broaden your focus a bit, there could be some opportunity.
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mellivora » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Couple of challenges here;

There are not that many snakebite victims
Most of them are careless herpetologists
The latter requires psychological counselling prior to being bitten !!

From someone that did spend a week in hospital ............... many years ago
Mellivora
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 pm

The careless herpers are often too embarrassed to admit that it was purely their own fault and they did not listen to advice. No therapy needed.

The number of snake bites in SA will not be enough to justify the effort.

Another thought is trying to get people over their irrational fear for / phobia about, snakes. That might be more effective but that depends if the patient actually wants to overcome this fear.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby atropos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Good point bv. Maybe it could be as karin said to incorporate more than just snakebite.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Hey guys wow thanks. Well yea I thought about it again. As I have game ranging experience I would include that. Butting I think the general phobia thing is a good idea and its true that not many people are seriously bitten. So yea its just a thought though.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:55 am

I have a house mate who can hardly even look at picture of a snake without freaking out, but not sure she would be keen to get over it! I'm really keen for her to, though. I find more people are completely freaked out about frogs than snakes, so that could be another possible element to include.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Im with boing on the frog thing... I have a friend who has everything short of a complete panic attack when she sees a frog or a toad, and doing a lot of field work she comes in contact with amphibians a lot more than she likes...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions