Remembering a legend...

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Remembering a legend...

Postby insaniac » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Hey guys,

Wow, it's been a while...

With the new job and everything stuff got a bit hectic, but now that everything has started to settle down again I'm happy to report that I am back and still as avid a herper as ever before !!!

Anyway,

I saw a special on Animal planet this morning on Steve Irwin's ( ...may he rest in peace... ) quest through North America to find all the different species of rattlers that inhabited it.

He found every, single, one... and tons of each I might add...

I especially liked when he found the breeding pair of Blacktail Rattlers in the old abandoned mine shaft, damn, those are by far my favourites.

I never knew rattlers could hiss too... hmm...

Man, he must've had the best job in the world, don't you think ?

It got me wondering...

For those of you out there who had the priviledge to see his series, what were some of your favourite moments ?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Remembering a legend...

Postby armata » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

I did not see that programme; but 32 species of rattler?, well 28 or so if you take awy those south of the border.

Don't want to burst your balloon but when you have worked on such programmes you are limited by time and budget.

I worked on his 'Africa's 10 most dangerous, and all those were set up. And of course you have to rely on local herpetologists.

Film making is not the glamourous job people think it is; the producer will always put you under pressure.
Mark O'Shea does not work filming now because he was too honest - if he didn't find it, tough! Remember his water cobra film. But I hope he bounces back, knowing Mark he will I'm sure.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I have a suspicion very, very few of the shows you see on TV contain a lot of "real life drama". My problem is that once you just start learning more about a certain group of animals, you start picking up the impossibilities and abnormalities very quickly. So when I look at a documentary on my main field of interest (not reptiles...), I can spot the "staged" shots very quickly and I pick up the hundreds of mistakes quite easlily. And consequently I doubt ALL the documentaries I watch because I just don't know how accurate they are. That's not to say they are all rubbish and inaccurate, but I can't tell the fact from the fiction in the programs that are about creatures and groups of animals I don't know. I definitely don't trust them anymore so I'd rather go and double check (or on most cases tripple check) what I see on the TV. Some documentaries on the other hand focus more on the animals than on the person presenting it, and I have found these to be a lot better and more accurate!

As for finding stuff in the wild.... well, I don't consider myself the best herpetologist ever and I probably never will be so my chances of finding things in the wild is never 100%, but I go out often into the field and statistically speaking I cannot even imagine how you are going to find the numbers and species they get on their "visits to a locality" in any short period of time! Maybe they are just that good... ;)
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Ah man...I dont mean to sound like just another wannabe, but Steve's death was a real shocker. The man had one ingrediant which you can't teach someone...passion! What a LEGEND yes. There was a documentary made on the 10 most venomous by an ex-pat.The guy caught a rhinoceros in KZN instead of gabonica! Mad funny.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 am

I can appreciate the fact that most of the finds are staged, and Im fine with that, it does become slightly irritating with the background (dangerous) music, but I suppose it all adds to the build up of the "find". The main essence of the find is often lost due to staging, in that the animal does not react the way it would when found in the wild "unstaged" What is of importance is they get the setting right, ie the habitat of the snake. It often amazes me when people tell me how easy the guy on tv made it look, I said yes after 3 hours of filming Im sure the snake is tired as well and react more like a piece of rope.
However it is entertaining and there is the occasional lesson to be learnt.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:50 am

I understand where you guys are coming from...

I too have worked in the film industry and know that it's not allways the glitz and glamour it appears to be, but I think you guys might have misunderstood the question a bit...

I don't really care about how the show was made, what I wanted to know was, if you guys can remember a specific part of the series or show that really intrigued you ?

And even though his producers pressured him somewhat sometimes with schedules and the like, he still had one of the most entertaining, rewarding and satisfying jobs in the world.

Not many people have done, or will ever do what he has, to spread the word about conservation and welfare of habitat throughout the globe.

So, cameras, schedules, staged finds, backgroud music and angry producers aside...

Was there a specific moment of the show that you guys can't get out of your heads ?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 am

Him giving a brown snake a kiss on the top of it's head before release, and then calling it sweet-heart as it departed...
His passion is what got me the most. It's almost like it shimmered off him like an aura.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I remember the brown snake in the car, quite a performance!

Tailing the black mamba. He admitted afterwards probably the scariest thing he had done, he sweated rivers on that one.

My problem is that there are many trying to emulate hime, just look at U tube.

I don't watch wildlife programmes anymore, unless they repeat 'In Cold Blood' with Oum David.

The presenters are now the stars, anyone watch 'Be the Creature'. That was totally depressing.

And when will Americans learn how to pronounce python, its not 'piethon'!!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Steve had his own way of making every animal seem special even if it was feral pig!

The best presenter I have seen recently was a guy from Israel whos name I would never be able to pronounce. His way of showing the snakes without actually touching them was so refreshing I would have liked him to be compulsory viewing for any wildlife presenter.

David Attenborough is in a class of his own and I hope they clone him before he passes on.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby eyelash viper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:34 pm

wow i saw that show . yea a legend
Nature is there for every mans need Not his greed !!!
eyelash viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:04 am

I miss Steve Irwin's show dearly!!!

What touched me the most wasn't just his passion for wildlife but also for his family!!! I have a book or two about him and his life story, and you read things in there that you would never see on the tv.

One funny series I enjoyed watching was when he was a young lad, and he was filming him self with a cam corder catching a salty and trying to get him into a transport box. The Crock Snapped at Steve's foot and had hes foot in its mouth for quite some time. Steve only pulled a funny face, and looked at the camera! LOL.. When the crock released his foot, you could see Steve's sigh of relieve whilst looking at the camera! LOL.. was mad funny!

I enjoy watching Jeff Corwin too. He brings allot of humor to his show and another brilliant documentary I love seeing is anything with Rom Whitaker!

Sir David is brilliant too... People say i can do a good David Attenborough voice lol

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I also loved his shows.

I will also have to say the best one for me was the black mamba episode. He was hilarious on that one.
Watched Brady Barr the other nite with he's first black mamba capture, was also made funny. Seems like the black mamba is still the ultimate.
And of course Marius on Groen cracks me up weekly.

But sadly most of the newer shows is all about the presenters.
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I saw an episode last weekend where they got some award for the best attraction or something for the Zoo and they all (him and all the staff) had to go to this facy function. All of his staff was really dressed up, evening dresses, button shirts and ties and here came Steve wearing his usual khaki's. When he won he even went up on stage dressed like that, not a worry in the word.

I also saw for the 1st time really on one of these episodes how cool Tazmanian Devils are, they just want to bite all the time. Would love to have one as a pet. Wombat are also cute.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Biosmith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Somebody who will be remembered as a legend for being the biggest loser is Bear Grylls though. I'm getting tired of watching him kill and eat snakes the whole time. They showed the episode in the Aussie outback again this weekend and it upset me immensely.
Biosmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Biosmith wrote:Somebody who will be remembered as a legend for being the biggest loser is Bear Grylls though. I'm getting tired of watching him kill and eat snakes the whole time. They showed the episode in the Aussie outback again this weekend and it upset me immensely.

Yeah, couln't agree more... definitely no Stevo that one.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Discussions