Remembering a legend...

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: Remembering a legend...

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Mark O shea set up his "finds" when he was in South Africa. I have also heard that he throws his toys quite easily. Quite a few people who have worked with him have said they will never work with him again. I am sure peoples experiences differ on these film sets. People who have worked with Jeff say he is a real gentleman and great fun on and off camera. He takes advice seriously and is never offensive to the crew.

I believe in the age old saying "people who are not nice to waiters are not nice people" which boils down to you are judged by how you treat the people who are there to do menial tasks for you. I have been snubbed by wannabe actors and treated cordially by real super stars. How you treat my animals will also indicate how you will be judged by me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Drewbot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Bushviper wrote:Nope that was the real gaboon he jumped on. I had sold the snake a few months before he borrowed it.

He really clobbered that thing when he landed on it.
I really think that snake is stunned when his is tailing it on the rocks, or half drowned!
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 am

I'm sure that those of us who have worked with the different TV presenters have had different experiences. It's also true that not all herpetologists get alone with each other either. At least when I have worked with O' Shea in South Africa, he was serious about not setting up any of his finds. True he does throw his toys from time to time but it's mostly because he just want's to go herping and not waste the time doing all the scenic shots which help put the rest of the story together. Mark is also very conscious of the animal’s well being during filming. It's mostly the directors of these documentaries who are more concerned about getting the shot with out regard for the stress on the animals being wrangled. It is the responsibility of the local expert or wrangler to make sure the animals being used are treated properly and not overly stressed. This to me is number one priority when filming a documentory.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Drewbot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Does anyone know if the Giant Rock Python (12 footer maybe?) that Dr. Brady Barr caught was wild or a captive?

It was the one where he said the local tribe was going to find one for him, and they put a hide cover on their hand and stuck it in the hole, and it bit the hide cover, and they pulled it out. Then Dr. Barr said he paid the guys for the snake and let it go.

Is that a real find or a captive? anyone know?
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Yes im wondering if anyone here has worked with brady?
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 am

armata wrote:I remember the brown snake in the car, quite a performance!

Tailing the black mamba. He admitted afterwards probably the scariest thing he had done, he sweated rivers on that one.

My problem is that there are many trying to emulate hime, just look at U tube.

I don't watch wildlife programmes anymore, unless they repeat 'In Cold Blood' with Oum David.

The presenters are now the stars, anyone watch 'Be the Creature'. That was totally depressing.

And when will Americans learn how to pronounce python, its not 'piethon'!!

You worked with steve irwin? Thats really cool! What was he like Was he a good person and a good nice guy?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions