Pet Transport

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Pet Transport

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 am

Hi All

Firstly, I apologise if this has been posted already - I did a search and couldnt see anything. Also, if its in the wrong section - sorry!

I wanted to know if anyone has contact details / names of Company's that will transport animals from Durban to Jhb.

I contacted Time Freight this morning and they said that, as of last week, they do not do it any longer due to new rules that have come in. I know that they have told me in the past that they do not do this type of transporting, yet many people have told me that they use them.

If anyone can assist, it would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise its time to start working for myself haha!

Thanks!
Sam :)
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Pet Transport

Postby Eyelash » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 am

Well if Time fright cant help out go for Express air services.They do(sometimes) ask for the transport permits but if the animals are legal it shouldnt be trouble to get.What makes air fright nice is the fact that you get your animals the same day,usually 2-3hrs after drop off.The cost of flying a small package(1-2kg) is around R140-150,so not to expensive either but stick to small cargo items because large ones will cost you !

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

Thank you Louis, unfortunately we won't go with air transport for this as it is a baby Iguana - I don't want to stress them out more if I can help it.

Thanks for the reply though.

Sam
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 am

Time Freight does not do same day or overnight delivery - confirmed by Time Freight themselves. Minimum duration of transport is 3 days, pickup from sender on the 1st day, transport on the 2nd day and collection by receiver on the 3rd day. Also, they do not accept live animals. They do freight, by road.
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Chamcode,
That is only if a person is too lazy to take the animal to their depot.
I have sent hundreds of snakes via time freight, all overnight or sameday.

It is only recently that they no longer transport livestock.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev3 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

RU is quite right. I was told by Time Freight that they don't do animals anymore as the SPCA got involved because their vehicles aren't ventilated properly for transporting animals...
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata
1.1.0 Python regius
0.0.1 Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix
0.1.0 Crotalus atrox
1.1.0 Naja Kaouthia
0.1.0 Iguana iguana
Kev3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm

RU, I was sent animals illegally and without my knowledge via Time Freight. I was bewildered when I got a phone call from Time Freight saying that there was a package for collection with my cell number and a completely different name. I went to investigate and found a package with dead animals! I specifically asked the Time Freight representative whether they have an overnight service, since the sender claimed they did, and I was told they did not and had a minimum turnaround time of 3 days.
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed May 25, 2011 5:07 pm

This is nonsense man , if they can't give you an alternative then they obviously want you to start doing it illegally.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Jason&Sam wrote:Thank you Louis, unfortunately we won't go with air transport for this as it is a baby Iguana - I don't want to stress them out more if I can help it.

Thanks for the reply though.

Sam

Do you really think transported in the back of a bakkie across the Drakensburg at night in an vehicle which is not air conditioned is going to be less stress?

I flew hundreds of baby iguanas at a time from the US on airplanes and they all arrive 100% because when the boxes are labeled as live animals they warm up the hold and it is pressurized. A 2 hour airplane trip from Durban is far better than a 24 hour trip by road especially this time of year.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed May 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi, thank you for the feedback - I'll definitely take on your advice. My thinking behind it was that an airline might not be as careful with a package, but from the responses I think its probably the opposite.

Thanks guys!
Sam
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Two weeks back I had an amazon couriered to me via timefreight. Everything was planned out perfectly and they were about to go collect the snake from the previous owner when I talked the last time to the lady of timefreight and I mentioned I can't wait for this package because I've been looking for an tree boa.. Then she replied that since last month they don't courier animals anymore. Okay so I almost freaked as I already paid for the snake and I will only be to the end of the week in town. But she said to me not to worry and to just pack her securely in a ice cream tub with lots of holes for air and place that in a carton box. She says they still transport stuff like crickets and so on. So after almost not sleeping that night...
Next morning at 7 o clock I got my call saying I can come collect my package, she was 100% fine, just a bit cold.
From JHB to Klerksdorp cost me R120.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 am

Sam the airlines have certain specific regulations regarding live animals and they freight them separately from the usual stuff. You do pay a bit more than "postage" rates but the animals are loaded last and off loaded first. I have never lost an animal due to negligence of an airline. I dont say if has not happened but the chances are much less than "courier" services who are not even aware that there are live animals inside.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks BV, I don't mind paying more by any means - just needed to know the best way. Thanks for the advice!
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby stu01 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Try Pets En Transit. www.petsentransit.co.za 0861 738 247

It is my wife's company and although I know there have been heavy restrictions of transport of reptiles domestically in South Africa, she does have a person who is working on only reptile shipping alongside Nature Conservation to ensure all correct permits are in place. They also custom make containers to IATA specifications for individual animal requirements.

Cheers
Stuart
0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
1.0.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
1.0.0 Corn Snake
1.2.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.0.0 Amazon Tree Boa
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.0.1 Savannah / Bosc Monitor
stu01
SA Reptiles Member