Water Birds

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Water Birds

Postby Sico » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:20 pm

One of the nicer things about living on the East Rand is the amount of water we have around here, and with that the variety of water birds.
I popped in at a pan this morning to see what was knocking about and saw some quite nice species.
Purple Gallinule - normally a very shy bird, I saw 7 of them rooting through the water plants.
Whitefaced duck - one of my favourite species of waterfowl.
Yellowbilled duck
Southern Pochard - a new one for me, I only saw this lone male.
Red-Crested Pochard - also a new one, which had me stumped, reason being it is indigenous to Europe. This is obviously an established escapee (often seen in Gauteng apparently)
Common Moorhen
Grey-headed Gull - raucous and plentiful out here, I think these are probably the dominant waterbird in the East
Crowned Lapwing
Three-banded Plover - not all that uncommon, but not often seen out in the open
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Water Birds

Postby mailjvdb » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Nice! I also enjoy birding! We are fortunate enough to have sighted more than 100+ bird species on our property over the years. I especially like the ducks :) Very elusive around here though, and they take off at the slightest disturbance. Any Kingfisher species in your area?
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Nice I like the Red-Crested Pochard the head reminds me of the jenday conure.
Cool post
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah, I have Malachite and Pied and Woodland in my own garden on my small dam, although they aren't often around, and I have seen the same up at some of the other dams around here. I am sure there are more species as well.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:30 pm

A couple more from today
Spurwinged Goose
Egyptian Goose
Maccoa Duck
Hottentot Teal
Dabchick
Squacco Heron - unusually not shy at all this one
African Spoonbill - female had just been feeding one of her two young, and was trying to walk away from them pestering her
Blacksmith Lapwing
Wattled Lapwing - The male Standing, female sitting. You can see the difference in wattle size
Lastly, Greater Flamingo - there were about 40 birds on the pan today, the scarlet on their wings is amazing, they will look stunning when in full plumage.
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I am a fairly big birder and live opposite the Huddle park golf course where i have seen a lot of interesting birds over the years.
I must say I haven't seen the Red-Crested Pochard or the flamingos around, but I'm not that far east.
I have seen a dwarf bittern, the night heron, African shell duck, black headed oriole and even a lilac breasted roller to name a few.

It's nice to know you can walk down the road an loose yourself in nature without leaving the city.
Just don't take a camera into Huddle... you will get mugged!

Thanks for sharing!
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Great images Sico, I am just getting into birding and got myself the bird call cd, a few books and latest charts. I have photograph a few and wants to get more everytime I go out. I just discover a quiet little dam in Magalies and have erected a hide that I cover with shadow netting to photograph from.(my secret place :) )
Just a few images I took a while back ...

Modderpote

Veeryer

Incoming

Nesbou

Taking off..
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Boskobra » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Nice photo's Sico, and as always Foble.
I will never forget the Egyptian Goose and the Whitefaced duck, had them in my proffesional hunting course end exam as 2 of the 5 birds needed to be identified. Like drilled in to my memory forever. :)
I will see if i can take some pictures of the birds by us and post.

Thanks
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Coral » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 pm

nice pics.having a second look at that maccoa duck and its actually a nort american ruddy duck.our maccoa ducks {male} has a black head and brown body with a blue bill.the females are greyish in colour.they are quite nice
Coral
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions