What you can and can't keep in WC

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

What you can and can't keep in WC

Postby Feederwarehouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok guys, so with all the issues regarding what is legal and what is not in the Western Cape I got hold of Lee Ann at Cape Nature and she was kind enough to answer my questions below and help clarify some things for me.
Thought I'd share as I don't seem to be the only one that was slightly confused as to how some of this works and what is legal.
I know some things might be missing from the list but it's the best I could come up with and I think it covers the bases. :D

Please if any of you are confused or have any animals not on permit try and get it sorted, Cape Nature seems more than willing to help.

Permits

If I buy a reptile from someone they must have it on permit, then they provide me with a transport permit which costs R 80 before I can take it which takes +- 1 weeks to obtain *transport permits take 5 - 10 working days to be process. Once they have the transport permit I get the animal *and a copy of the transport permit which will then serve as your proof of origin, take it home and then apply for a captivity permit which is R 80 and it can take 3 weeks to get the permit *no, captivity permits can take anything up to 3 months (or longer) to be processed. You apply (application form, proof of origin and proof of payment), then your application will go 1 of 2 ways: 1 be processed straight away - meaning your permit gets issued or 2: be referred to your nearest conservation office for an inspection of your property etc. The inspection report will then be sent back to our office and based on the inspection report will your application be processed further . There after Cape Nature will come and inspect the animal and the enclosure? *this gets done before you get a permit should your application be referred.

If the animal breeds in captivity I must apply for a captivity permit for each baby. *No. Your captivity permit is valid for 2yrs and you get a register with your permit. Should your animals in captivity breed, die, get sold, you receive donations, etc. you tick it all off (update your register as you sell, buy, breed,etc) on your register. However, you only apply for transport permits. When your permit expires you apply for your renewal with a copy of your register (you don't have to submit the transport permits as all the information will be on your register)

What is the procedure if I move or change the address where the animals are kept? *First you apply for a transport permit to move from one property to another. Then you can do 1 of 2 things; 1: you can still use your captivity until it expires and then when you renew you put your new details down and attach the transport permit to show you moved from your last captivity address to a new one. 2: once you at the new property you can send in a new application for captivity.

What happens when the animal dies, do I notify Cape Nature? *You update your captivity register.

What is the fine/punishment for having an animal that is not on permit? *depends on what you have.

If someone didn’t know they needed a permit to buy the animal because they were unaware and the seller did not inform them and they want to obtain the permit, how do they go about doing this and will they be fined or will it depend on the situation? *depend on the situation.

Can I keep any of the following

You can just mark it with a Y or N

Veiled Chameleons: yes
Panther Chameleons: yes
Jackson Chameleons:
Flapneck Chameleons:
Cape Dwarf Chameleons:
Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleons:
Are there any others I can keep?:

Leopard Geckos: no
Crested Geckos: yes
Fat tail Geckos: yes
Namibian Ground Geckos: not sure
Madagascar Day Geckos: not sure

Blue tongued Skinks: no
Skinks of any kind: no
Iguana’s:no
Bosc Monitors: no
Bearded Dragons: no
Frilled Lizards: yes

Newts/Salamanders: not sure
Turtles: no
Tortoises: yes
Praying Mantises: not sure
Tarantulas: no
Spiders of any type: no
Scorpions: no

Corn Snakes: yes
Milk Snakes: yes
King Snakes: yes
Boa’s: yes
Pythons: yes
House Snakes: yes
Rat Snakes: yes
Egg Eaters: yes
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What you can and can't keep in WC

Postby Dispholidus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I see no venomous snakes are mentioned. Is this intentional?

What about CB Mole snakes from other provinces?
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Feederwarehouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm

As I mentioned it's a list of what I know, I don't know much about hots or snakes but if you have some that you would like to know about I am sure I can create another list and ask Cape Nature about them.
So post all the others I have missed and I will find out.
I am also going to be inquiring about the procedure to import from other provinces and will post that info as soon as I have it.
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fugly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:30 pm

This is great, it should answer most of the basic questions regarding the permit system for the guys starting out.
Fugly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Cool FWH. I can mail Lee-Anne, Deon, Danelle or Carlo at CapeNature with the list :)
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Well, basically I am looking at all the venomous and mildly venomous indigenous to RSA - too many to mention, as well as CB Mole Snakes from other provinces. I know that a permit will probably never be approved for a Western Cape Mole Snake as it is protected species.
Also bearded dragon on the non-snake side.
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Oh sorry - I saw now bearded dragons are a no-no!
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info Feederwarehouse. I was not aware that one could keep Fat-tailed geckos in the Western Cape! :)

In addition to the info above, it might be worthwhile for potential hobbyists in the Western Cape to keep the following in mind:

Once you have a Cape Nature captivity permit for your first wild animal, you don’t need to apply for a CAPTIVITY permit for every new animal you acquire. Once you have the transport (within the WC)/import (from outside the WC) permit for the new animal/s, you simply add the animal/s to the register attached to your captivity permit. After two years, when applying for the renewal of your captivity permit, you will need to produce the transport/import permits of all the animals listed/added on your register when being inspected by a Cape Nature official. You need to have transport/import permits for every animal that is listed in your register and in your possession at that stage, except for the offspring of the animals you own. You can have more permits than animals, if some died or you ended up getting less than the number specified on the transport/import permit, but not the other way around! These inspections are arranged in advance and are done in the week during business hours.

You will need an export permit from Gauteng Nature Conservation when importing any reptile into the Western Cape. You will NOT need an export permit from KwaZulu-Natal Nature Conservation when importing any EXOTIC reptile into the Western Cape.
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Feederwarehouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks for the update chamcode, that helps with some of my other questions and how the importing part works.
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for this information... I learned something especially regarding the keeping of geckos and chameleons.

The best would be to go to Cn and ask if you and the repsresentitive could compile a list of what is not allowed to keep... that list is much shorter and set in place.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions