Bad news. (studies)

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Bad news. (studies)

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi eveybody,

Today I got one of the worst news I ever had, my studies request has been rejected (I never though i would say that one day)
but basically I've bee working in Akagera NP for two years while trying to find appropriate studies to do. Which I found, a french equivalent to a diploma on Protection and management of natural space-habitat which wasnt the best but It was in French Guyana Where it would have been like a dream to go to. But anyway I have to move forward and make a new plan... So basically my background is that in my two last school years I totally gave up Biologie, math and chemicals stuff to focus on IT (Very bad mistake of me but I didn't that I would fall in love with the bush a couple of years later.)
So what I would love to do is now going to south africa and find something there like a degree on biology or zoology even if I have to do a one year "backup" I dont how to call that just to get my level back to what's requested in theme of biology, math and improving my english etc....
So now I would like some advice from you south africans or not ^^ on where I could go, what best etc?

I love herpetology but I would like something pretty wide in conservation if you guys know what I mean ....
Anyway huge thanks for the ones who took the time to read this.
Cheers
East African Herpetofauna Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/662521540444058/
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bad news. (studies)

Postby Jamster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi there I'm doing a bachelors degree in environmental sciences, which is essentially a bachelors in both zoology and botany at NMMU in Port Elizabeth. The approach is very scientific though and not really conservation orientated. Here at NMMU they do offer a diploma in nature conservation though which is based in George and is very cool. I've got a friend who is currently in her first year doing the diploma. Pm me if want any info etc and maybe you can get into contact with her which would also help.

Best of luck :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi,

I know that UNISA is offering a National Diploma in Conservation. I am looking at it as option myself, the big plus being that you get to study from home (Great if you like to go herping every so often). Have a look at it on their website. You should also ask Shadowfoot.

I took Biology in Nelspruit High School from Grade 10 - 12 and I can assure you that you did not miss much by the way of conservation. 25% Of the year program was set aside for conservation studies. Teachers being teachers they usually fitted it in more to the tune of 10% of the year (Just before the end of year exams).
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby najarw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:53 am

I would suggest that if you want to do a degree go through the University of Tswane, they are the main feed for SAN parks in South Africa. For a diploma go with Jamster on the one offered in George. I started studying conservation through Unisa but dropped it because the course is not conducive to working in conservation. It has a lot of subjects that SAN parks don't require and it takes very long to complete. If you are including the practicals that are required it can take up to 10 years.
najarw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:18 am

Hey Jamster,
What you propose sounds pretty interesting I actually happy with with something more scientifics than purely conservation ... But what's about the level of studies should I do a year just to get my level back to what's required especially in therm of English I've never studied in English except a bit of herpetology and even my English is not good enough yet ...
Do they have a website or anything ?
@sfourie: mate, studies at home not a chance I know myself ! I ll go herping all the time finish with 53 snake at home ^^ and studies when I've nothing else to do... I already did that in my last years of school and I did absolutly nothing... But I passed my exam without a problem, still don't know how though ...
Thanks Najarw I think I'll have a look with what's Jamster suggest and also on your degree in U. Of Tsawne.

I heard a lot about university of Pretoria still for a degree how would that be ?
Thanks again guys for the time ;)
Cheers
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:36 pm

I did send you a pm Kenny:)

And as I said the degree is demanding in that it is very scientific, with relatively little field work, but lots of lab and computer work. You have to take at least four subjects first year. I have taken zoology, botany, geology and geography and am in my second year now. The level of English used is quite high with plenty complex definitions and concepts.
Without the high school background I think it might be relatively hard to catch up. The work is based on previous knowledge.

I think the N.C. diploma in George is what you are looking for as it is scientific in respect to phylogeny( grouping and scientific naming) as well as morphology( how it looks and why) also identification and obviously conservation. I'm not 100% sure but I think there is accomadation near and on campus there too:) I did pm you the nmmu web address:)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Kennyakagera as Jamster has already mentioned the NMMU Nature Conservation course is a great option. I'm currently in my 2nd year at Saasveld (George Campus) studying the Nature Conservation course. I highly recommend it if nature and the outdoors is your passion. We have very well respected lecturers and currently NMMU's course is rated the top nature conservation course in the country. Oh and the campus does offer accommodation ;)
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 am

Thank you very much Guys ... I think I gonna look for NMMU nature conservation course so that sounds more appropriate than what you are doing Jamster.
Thank you very much though for all the useful info !
Well I''ll have to do lots of paper work no for the equivalence of my school papers and stuff and come to south Africa ....
Thanks again ...
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions