Bad luck with escapees.

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Bad luck with escapees.

Postby sega » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Last night my one of my little corn snakes escaped i feel terrible,i've searched every were with no luck.
I have no idea how she escaped as her tub lid was on properly after i put her back yesterday after holding and taking pics of and then when i was feeding them she was was not in her tub.
I feel like i have failed as a snake keeper and i am thinking of selling all my snakes and only getting more when i get the spare room and can escape proof it so that this never has to happen again.
This is my second snake that has escaped the first one being when i had just started keeping snakes and did not know about proper caging and kept them in a large fish tank.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bad luck with escapees.

Postby lampie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Don't worry man she will pop up soon.I lost my kingsnake, once 3months later my mom found it in her bed :smt005
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 pm

we had the same thing over the weekend with a corn, had to move a semi built in cupboard but managed to finally find him. Just be patient and look in any and every little hole or gap you can, with it being colder im sure if didnt go far we found ours 2 meters away from its tank... this also sparked a bit of a fight though as my girlfriend insists on keeping him in a huge fish tank... I have since had to make wire cages for any and every hole and vent on the tank... good luck! be patient though...
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cytotoxin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

No need to feel that way. I am sure it has happened to the best of us. My corn also escaped just after I started keeping. I had some heat wire and constructed a few "hides" with the wire, and my corn popped up in one of them. I just gave up searching, because they find the smallest of gaps and holes. All the best!
2.2.0 Corn snakes
1.1.0 Mangrove pit vipers
0.0.3 While lip tree vipers
1.1.4 Crested Geckos
0.0.1 Day gecko
Cytotoxin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Never give up,I have had lost snakes pop up again after 2-3 months looking the same as the day they went missing.With all the cold weather we are having I am sure it did not go far.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 pm

It's all part of ze business. I don't think you can keep snakes without ever losing one.

Snakes that leave their cage are not like dogs that wanna sniff everything new. They generally go for the first place they can take cover in and stay there. They prefer to follow along walls so it's best to search all along the walls and thoroughly go through every object along it. If they find a safe place they tend to stay there for a few days so putting down hides along the walls is useful.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 pm

This is true. It happenes to us all. I don't think it reflects on your husbandry skills as snakes are masters of escape. I have opened tubs to feed and then not closed them in fear of a fussy feeder dropping its meal only to get a phone call or something and then realise 15 mins later 'oh cr@p'! Haha its a problem though as this seems to be happening more and more often we see exotics turning up on call outs. I hope you find it soon.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the support guys :)
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Ditto, to what the guys say. I just moved house recently and had to move all of my animals, which took longer than moving our furniture. I had a young Sanoran king that had lived in the rack system for about 4 months, got to the new place put him in his tub. 3 days later gone...

More than likely your corn will turn up. Usually after lights out give it around an hour or two and then go and put the lights on in your snake room or wherever you keep you herps, you might find her. It can take along time though, even months.

Regards
Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Put a heating pad on the floor or something with a hide in top of it. If she's near, the cold weather should make the heating pad a more desireable spot. The hide should make it feel safer, so she might stay there long enough for you to find her.

Good luck :-)
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Its never fun to lose a snake.

It happened to me like 7 months ago. I lost my yearling albino BHS male. The pride and joy of my bhs projects because he was in a plastic tub that had latches and everything but our cleaner came to clean my room and the tub was "accidentally" opened. I was devastated. I cleaned out my whole room and could not find him. Searched the whole house and nothing. I wanted to sell all my snakes and give up. I got over it and was going to buy another, but that exact same day (2 months since he got out) I found him in my moms room in a cardboard box. He still ate 2 mice that day.

Never give up.

You will find her again
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:37 am

Yip.I think most of us had at least 1 escape,before propperly securing all the cages.A mate of mine had a genius idea to narrow down the whereabouts of his little kingsnake escaping once...At every door arch,he sprinkled some flower down every night on the tile floor.The snake eventually sailed over the flower and left a small trace in wich general direction it went.In summer,they are obviousely more active, and he found it in a day or two.
I have found many snakes on call outs under fridges due to the heat available,maybe thats a good place to check.
Good luck
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Haha i had the same experience..

My brown house snake escaped, and we found her 1 year later in the swimming pool. She was huge, don't know what she has been eating for such a long time.

I knew it was her because she had very unique and distinct markings in her face.

They all turn up sometime.. :) when you least expect it
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby demigod06 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm

sorry, posted on colins profile :D
demigod06
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions