Could snakes be AI?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Could snakes be AI?

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

Okay I know weird question here, but could it be possible to artificially inseminate a snake? Could viable sperm be extracted from a male (guess via needle through skin into sperm ducts) and inserted into a ovulating female? If this could be achieved imagine the possibilities of breeding snakes without having the chances of something happening to your snake on a breeding loan. Breeding your female in JHB with male sperma from CPT? AI can be done with almost all mammals, why not reptiles?
Sorry if this is a stupid question... :oops:
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Could snakes be AI?

Postby Westley Price » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 am

I'm not experienced in this, but here are afew links:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23607

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19360586

http://www.smuggled.com/AIS2.htm

http://phys.org/news9159.html

So it has been done before, but the rarity with which it occurs probably means it's a difficult and delicate process.

Certain morphs of snake command VERY high prices, so I guess if it were easy, sperm would be offered for sale more regularly.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 am

Wow found this great info!

If this remotely interests you please read this: http://www.smuggled.com/AIS2.htm
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the links Westley! Very interesting and worth a read
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 am

They attempted it with Angolan pythons 30-40 years ago.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

Oky so me and JKA had a conversation yesterday and he mentioned something I did not think of.
As you can see on this image:

When you look closely you will see that the oviducts that runs from the vent is seperate from rectum. Now my question is if the sperm is introduced by simply "injecting" it into the vent will the sperm get their way into the oviducts? Maybe the hemipenis which is shaped almost like a flower is specifically shaped like this to introduce the sperm into the oviducts and not just the rectum?
Can somebody maybe explain exactly fertilization take place when the hemipenis is introduce into the vent.

Okay sorry for asking SUPER weird questions but this really interests me and would really appreciate if somebody could shed some light on this
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 am

Read this on one of the forums from a scientist who is doing research on this topic:

However, snakes do not have the vagina and cervix physiology of mammals and insemination can be easily achieved by depositing the semen just inside the muscular sphincter of the cloaca - usually via a capillary tube.

The semen then forms stratified layers inside a small storage pouch and is used by the female to fertilise her ova when required, hence reptiles' ability to produce several clutches of eggs from a single mating.

I actually would have thought that the success rate would be highest if the sperm was injected through the skin into the upper part of the oviduct, close to the ovaries, but I guess not.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I would have thought the sperm must be placed at about 3 - 5 cm in but this shows that the best place for insemination would be as close to vent as possible. Its amazing!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions