I survived the surgery

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

I survived the surgery

Postby Marion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi all

Well ............ I've had the double mastectomy after being diagnosed with breast cancer in January this year.
after a gazillion tests I had the surgery last week Tuesday 2nd April.

For all the ladies out there ..... have regular mammograms. Mine saved my life. It was a disease I never thought I had to worry about. What a wakeup call I had! I decided to have the bilateral mastectomy (and immediate reconstruction) because I didn't want to take a chance that the cancer would return in the second breast a couple of years in the future and then have to do the whole roller coaster again.

I've always been a buxom woman and was worried about how I would feel without my big boobs. Well ladies ...... it's fabulous!!! The surgery was a breeze compared to what I imagined it was going to be. Although not cleared of cancer - that will take various treatments over the next 5 years, I feel healthy and relatively pain free. Tomorrow all the drains will come out and hopefully the stitches as well. Once my tight strapping is gone I will feel more comfortable.

If there is one thing I can pass on to the ladies out there, your boobs do not define who you are! The surgery, although a major surgery, I was amazed at how little pain was really involved. So there's nothing to be terrified of ladies and with reconstruction surgery being available immediately after the mastectomy, you can even have perky Barby boobs instead. That's always a plus!!!

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: I survived the surgery

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:25 pm

AWESOME!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 pm

You are a brave brave woman. I am sure this post will encourage many other woman out there to do the same thing if they are diagnosed with breast cancer.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Good news!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Well done I commend you for your bravery and ambition. Hope people can be inspired by you. Wish you a full recovery.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Great news!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

Marion after seeing a couple of close friends go through what you have been through I commend you for your bravery and level-headedness. It is something that affects each woman differently, but the risks of not having it done can be significant. Well done to you, I wish you all the best for the future (may it be long ;) )
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 am

You are a very brave lady, thanks for telling us your story I'm sure it will inspire others like it inspired me!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Marion we all knew what you are made of but this has just rated you a few notches higher now. Well done and its great that you are spreading the message. Good luck for the future.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 am

Wow, it always seems like it always happens to others, till it happens to you. Thank you for the post and yes, it is an eye opener and a warning.

Good luck with your recovery, wish you all the best.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby insaniac » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 pm

You have a great way of dealing with a situation this.

I take my hat off to you and want you to know you are deeply respected for the courage you show.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm sure your message will touch a lot of lives.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

Hi all

Well it has been almost 2 weeks since my surgery and I feel great. I'm still at home and not allowed to go back to work and tomorrow I find out if I need chemo. That's the one thing that has worried me so far. But if it prevents further problems, then I will do as the doctor says.

Thanks so much for all the good wishes from forum members. It's always nice that people care. I had a friend live with me and my twin grandchildren and she went home yesterday. So now I am on my own and can drive my car again!!! What a sense of freedom. I hate relying on other people but having a chauffeur is great. :D

An interesting fact about my type of cancer is that it kicked in due to a shock and stress. I have had a bad 3 years personally and as a result this is what has happened. Ladies, if you go through some sort of severe trauma and then find a lump in the breast, go sort it out immediately. In fact any little lump should be investigated immediately because the earlier you catch it the easier it is to CURE. Not remove only but actually CURE.

Thanks again for all the good wishes. I will keep you all updated so maybe our ladies on forum and wives of male members will keep the necessity of regular mammograms in mind.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions