Good tongs vs good tongs??

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Postby armata » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Here you go, whitney tongs being used on black spitter, Goegap, only pic I could find qhickly

' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Mongoose » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:42 pm

With tongs can you hold the snake tight so that you restrict it from moving or will you hurt it?
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby armata » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Goose, with the modern tongs you can gauge your grip so as not to hurt the snake but to restrain it effectively. That photo also gives you an idea how light those whitneys are
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby WW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Another great tong is the Midwest M1 tong - basically MidWest's answer to the Whitney tong, with some refinements (springs better hidden). The Gentle Giants are just too heavy and clumsy for field use, to my mind.

The collapsing mechanism that Midwest offers now is absolutely excellent, adds very little weight and does not compromise tong function in any perceptible way.

Regarding Mongoose's question, I would ALWAYS strongly recommend supergluing neoprene foam on both jaws of the tongs - it hugely increases grip (especially on slippery snakes) while decreasing the risk of injury.

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:53 am

Be aware that some of these tongs and knock offs also do not take into consideration that sand, stones or twigs can foul the mechanism and this will cause a malfunction at the worst possible time.

If you practise with tongs that is far better than trying to design with the idiot in mind. I can pick up chicken eggs with a set of pillstroms after only a few modifications to the "jaws".

The sponge rubber/neoprene is a great idea as is painting the front with the same rubber used on the back of bakkies and other utility vehicles. They slip more if they are wet but not enough to write home about.
Last edited by Bushviper on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby axor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Anybody have an idea on the prices for the obove mentioned tongs ?
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself" D. H. Lawrence
axor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 am

I can pick up chicken eggs with a set of pillstroms after only a few modifications to the "jaws".

Ummm? May I ask what sort of modifications? I have a set Pilstroms tongs, but dont use them unless I have no choise, as I am scared of hurting the snake involved... :shock:

the paint on rubber is a briliant idea (why didnt I think of that!) :roll:
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:04 pm

I have got an opportunity to have a pair of tongs sent back to SA with my mother who's visiting the states next month, but I now have to make my decision. I suspect my mom won't be too impressed if she has to carry a pair of full size snake tongs through an American airport (I can just imagine the rest... ;) ) so I think I will go for the collapsible tongs.

Question: From what I can see the difference between the M1 tongs and the standard tongs is the width of the jaw, the weight and $20. Is it worth going for the wider jaw or not?

Midwest doesn't respond to my e-mails very quickly but I did ask them what transportation costs will be if I import myself. Has anyone imported their own and what was the costs (shipment, import TAX, etc)? I don't mind waiting another few months if other people are interested in sharing shipment, but I do need to make a decision quickly.

BTW - Axor - prices are at http://www.tongs.com
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Serpy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm also waiting for emails from them, they replied once for my shipping address to send me a quote and then nothing after that, been about 2 weeks.. I'd be interested in ordering with you..
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 pm

BushSnake wrote:I have got an opportunity to have a pair of tongs sent back to SA with my mother who's visiting the states next month, but I now have to make my decision. I suspect my mom won't be too impressed if she has to carry a pair of full size snake tongs through an American airport (I can just imagine the rest... ;) ) so I think I will go for the collapsible tongs.

Question: From what I can see the difference between the M1 tongs and the standard tongs is the width of the jaw, the weight and $20. Is it worth going for the wider jaw or not?

Definitely go for M1 - the MidWest standard tong has the same kind of jaw as a Pilstrom, and is much, much more likely to injure snakes. The M1 is a beauty, provided you pad it with rubber foam.

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm

I find most of the time the problem is that the companies in the US do not want to ship anything to SA (US or maybe UK only), that is their main problem. Not sure if it is the same with these tongs.

BushSnake - Why not order a few and have them delivered to the hotel or where ever your mom is staying? Then just ask her to pop to the nearest FedEx or UPS store (there're everywhere in big cities) and send it that way. You can all share the shipping cost.
Find out what a tongs weight is and then you can work out how much it will cost going through one of the above companies.

Normal US post is cheaper and not bad at all, it will take a bit longer but the problem is what happens when the stuff gets to SA. I sent a +- 9KG box with all sorts of stuff through the post. It cost me about $50 and took about 2 to 3 weeks to get here, nothing was missing. The thing is just that you need a contact (your mom) in the US to take the stuff to the PO or courier.
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Midwest tongs are happy to ship to south africa.. Pity they take so long to reply with needed info though..
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 pm

I am just worried that you have to pay 20% import tax if you order it through the post, whereas I might be able to get it through in a travelers luggage?

Mittone, did your goods have commercial value? I think 10kg should be enough for a few tongs and $50 devided by lets say 5 people makes the shipment quite inexpensive (relatively).
Serpy, did they send you a quote for the shipment? Lets just hope it doesn't form part of a Zimbabwean weapon shipment that travels far and wide :)

I want to find all the options by Monday otherwise I am going to order my tongs via the family route!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Serpy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:56 pm

I just recieved an email requesting one more detail from me then I should recieve the quote, i asked for a quote specifically on gentle giants.. so the shipping costs should be the relatively the same or cheaper for the other tongs seeing as they're much lighter.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Moreliahunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:13 am

Try ordering from thebeanfarm.com. I have ordered lots from them in the past and their service is very good. They stock most of what you are after.
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions