Boa species that I keep

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Re: Boa species that I keep

Postby fredsmith » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats one for the memory bank.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 am

suppose that's why they call it the 'pinky' finger

LOL :lol:
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:01 am

Really nice selection of snakes froot. Are you going to be breeding the roughscaled boas anytime soon? I like them and came across one for sale a couple of months back but it was just the one and, I think, a male. Didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if there were any others around. What made you decide on boas?
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks Boadicea. Yes I want to breed the roughscaleds when they are ready to breed. When I started collecting boas it was because of the amazing range of species there are and because I didn't need to hassle with eggs and incubators when breeding them, apart form that I just find them amazing.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 am

I agree with froot. They are really amazing and the live birth just tops it off.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Nice Froot.
Those are some stunning boas!
Kenyans are on my list to. How is their feeding response?
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:08 pm

The female eats like a dustbin, the male on the other hand is a bit more figure conscious and only eats once in a while.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby froot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Took these while feeding this afternoon. I have posted pics of this snake before but hell why not post some more, just because I find this species fascinating.

Madagascan tree boa, mandarin phase (Sanzinia madagascariensis):
Image Image
Image Image

Probably the most unusual boa out there IMO and one of my prize species. This animal is a female mandarin phase, she has a 2 toned brown and light cream colour, the inside of her mouth is black like D. polypepis with a set of enormous teeth that somehow fit in her mouth so that it can close. You DO NOT want to take a bite from this species. Their strength is incredible, stronger than any other boa I've handled, even Dumerils boas. She is approaching 2 meters long with a girth reaching about 50mm which is rather misleading when it comes to estimating her strength.
froot
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I love those Tree Boas and you know I am 1st on the list when you breed them hey?
How's the Rainbows, does it look like the female might be preggies again?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby uncutdiamonds » Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 am

froot wrote:A few years ago I decided to collect boa species from around the world and hopefully breed them. I'm not really interested in morphs although it would make my day if one of my females gave birth to an albino or something like that. I'm more interested in keeping a range of species and to date I have a few. Here are a few pics of some of the species I keep:

An egg laying boa species, Mullers Sand Boa (Eryx muelleri).

Rosy boa (Lichanura trivirgata), not sure of the locality though.

Nice red Kenyan sand boa (Eryx colubrinus), don't see these often here.

Can you tell us more about the character of these animals? How are they as pets and of course how are they to keep (requirements and optimum conditions)?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri May 14, 2010 10:18 am

Awesome little Boa's there Froot.

I am looking at getting into the Sand Boas from next year. If you don't mind I will have to bug you regarding info when that happens.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat May 15, 2010 2:08 pm

rolandslf wrote:Awesome little Boa's there Froot.

I am looking at getting into the Sand Boas from next year. If you don't mind I will have to bug you regarding info when that happens.
Do you plan to go big? I'd like to know what the requirements are to start with one sand boa?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Sand boas are pretty easy to keep. I keep them in small enclosures and use fine bark chips as a substrate that they can burrow in, sometimes mixed with sterile dirt from the garden that is somewhat clotty but free from compost as opposed to loose desert type sand. I do not use a heat pad under the substrate. For heating I use small 15 watt oven globes that hang from the top in the corners of the enclosures that run on a 12 hour timer cycle. A waterbowl sits somewhere in the middle of the thermal gradient.
When it comes to feeding it's pretty straight forward. These snakes ambush their prey and I feed them in situ, either by dragging a food item with forceps around their heads as they lie buried in the substrate or by simply leaving the food in there for them to find and eat.
The only thing with sand boas as with any fossorial creatures, your cage always looks uninhabited and you will have to dig around to find the buggers every time you get asked "What's in here?"
froot
Founder Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:30 pm

froot wrote:...
The only thing with sand boas as with any fossorial creatures, your cage always looks uninhabited and you will have to dig around to find the buggers every time you get asked "What's in here?"
So this means it's a pretty unactive species? Or at least unactive to people viewing.

I'd just like to know, is there a way to get them more (inter)active?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Pythons and Boas