Leonydis taking a slither with the fishes

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Leonydis taking a slither with the fishes

Postby Aphrodites » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm

This is some updated pics of my boy. He was very fascinated with the fishes in the tank but in the end lost interest. Do you think he was just interested in the movement of the fish or do you think that if he could have gotten to them he might have eaten them? Just a question cause he spent a lot of time observing them and I found that quite unusual.

What do you guys think of him?

Images fixed - BB
Aphrodites
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leonydis taking a slither with the fishes

Postby Neurotoxic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Only way you would know is to open the fishtank lid!
I had a yellow rat snake that loved to chill by the fish pond. He often would dive in an munch a goldie...
So i would'nt be suprised if your burm sees them as food...
Neurotoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Nice looking little dude :D , I'm just curios do you know anything about his genes.

I have never seen an albino burmese python with such a bold neck-line(patterning),

I have seen a few green burms with the bold line but the albino green burmese looks different than your albino boy. :?:
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aphrodites » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:49 pm

You know it is funny that you ask that because I also thought it was very unusual and yet when I asked the guy that I got him from about it he said he had no idea about the genes (was a young guy that bought the snake and then lost interest). I would be very interested to find out because I have not seen this elongated neck marking on another burm either.

Someone told me though that this should shorten as he gets bigger and fatter but how true this is I am not sure.
Any of the experts out there know?
Aphrodites
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 am

Tell the "someone" that they have no clue what they are talking about. Burmese pythons do not change their patterns as they get older. longer or fatter. The head and neck markings are like a fingerprint and can be used to identify a python after many years.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Aphrodites » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

BB - Thanks for fixing the post.

BV - I have to agree with you, I also thought it was strange that he said that (especially seeing as he has quite a few years of experience with snakes) but hey I am a newbe to the game so I do not argue I listen to what a person has to say and then go home and do some homework to make sure that what they said is correct but it is difficult to verify every bit of information but I try my best.

I have searched pictures of Albino Burmese Pythons and I could not find a single one with such a long neck marking but I don't nessasarily think he has anything special (dont let him hear me say that... Dont worry my boy you are special in my heart ;) ) it might just be like BV says, it is his own personal fingerprint.
Aphrodites
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:44 am

It's a pleasure, and you have a beautiful boy there. I have seen Burmese Pythons with very similar markings, so no, not anything "special" going on there, just a very interesting pattern.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Return to Pythons and Boas