Health issues burms vs retics

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Health issues burms vs retics

Postby Unforgiven » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm

I want to get an albino burmese python soon, but it seems that the burms are very prone to illness and sometimes just peg for no reason.

I have never really liked the general look of the retics, but they seem to be bulletproof. Can anyone comment on which would be a better addition?
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Health issues burms vs retics

Postby chris w » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:07 pm

In my opinion and experience, retics are just amazing, beautiful, intelligent, and you say bulletproof. Burms are prone to disease especially pneumonia, and as I posted recently my burm just died on me for no apparent reason. Retics are great and I have decided to specialize in them myself, but ultimately it is up to you.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gareth.hooper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 pm

First and foremost its going to come down to husbandry.
Secondly where you buy, breeders are best where you can go and see how the parent snakes are kept, etc. this made all the difference when I bought. I dont do stores period unless I know the owner privately and know his/her collection.

When I had burms, they were as you say for retics, bulletproof. They just rocked on and on and on.
gareth.hooper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

I second Gareth, of the three burms I have I've never had an issue. It will have to come down to husbandry and where you purchased it from. It comes down to your personal preference though in choosing. I for one would take both the Retics and Burms.
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:08 pm

I have had a few of both those. The only thing i can say is i agree.. husbandry is top priority and secondly its the quality of the animal.. you get individuals who are just "meek" and i would say that one species is more robust then the other as long as individual needs are provided.

@ chris w.

Please Dont take offence with Us explaining that husbandry is the biggest cause of death. I know you lost a burm and it isn't always due to the care of the animal.. unexplained deaths happen..

They both are ferocious eaters, the Retics are in overdrive most of the time though.. :D I have always Liked them a bit more then burms
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gareth.hooper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm

If my burms weren't snakes, they would be pigs.
They never once skipped a beat.

I would love to try retics one day.
gareth.hooper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:28 pm

gareth.hooper wrote:If my burms weren't snakes, they would be pigs.
They never once skipped a beat.

I would love to try retics one day.

So was most of my Burms. Had a female albino that had some hellish tendencies.. but in my experience the retics are just incredible, if they didn't get so big.. Id get one again..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Retics all the way man. Trying to compare them is like trying to compare the fat oom down the street to a young fit Mike Tyson...

I used to have both and now I only do the tics.

Reasons why retics are better:
Smarter
Dont look like overgrown mopanie worms
Dont get sick
Move better/more
They get bigger
Have that cool veloce-raptor look when they watch you
They can and will eat anything
Much harder to breed
Have more morphs as well.
The no 1 reason...they were the snake that bit Brady Barr on the ass...
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Health wise there is also no comparison. A retic, if kept by half decent will never need a vet trip, if you want to try and get a burm old you are going to have some vet bills and some luck...
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Haha that is true and also what worries me about the retics, there's just something about them that makes me think they will be the death of me.. I'm not really interested in morphs in the retics and most are way out of my budget.

To be perfectly honest its only the albino burm that I actually fancy - they are really pretty. Basically from what I have gathered it comes down to keeping husbandry perfect and even then there's still a chance things can go wrong with a burm. These snakes can live for up to half a century and I'm not the person to get rid of a snake once acquiring it.

The reason I ask is because apart from the BRB and the BCI this will become the biggest snake I own and also probably my most pried one too. It will also be the gfs most loved animal and so I don't want to come home 2 or 3 years down the line and there's this dead 3 odd meter snake that greets me - would be too much to handle.

Maybe I am being a bit unfair to the retics, I have never been around one. Everything I have gathered about the burms is that they are gentle (maybe a little too gentle from their "laziness") but I think it would be a great way to get into the big snake world. Choosing the right individual will be a must though. I do not want to choose a bad tempered one and end up having a really bad experience down the line..

Anyway thanks for all the input, keep it coming :)
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Qoute = Burmbuddy [they don't look like overgrown mopanie worms]
:lol:
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gareth.hooper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 pm

You will never know the outcome of temprement.
My male was placid as a dead duck, but the female became a real B**** and they came from the same clutch.

Tagged me a real good shot once but was generally just hard tempered.
gareth.hooper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm

@ unforgiven. When you are in the Somerset west area you are more than welcome to drop by my place and take a look at some adults. I also have some albino's, think thy might cgange your mind regarding which is better looking... You can get your hands on some of he bigger females and see if it fits you. Biggest obe s close to 6m.

Jokes aside, these guys can be challanging, but it is Not brain surgery, do your research - like you are, meet some adults- like you can if in my area and do it right and its lots of fun.

Cheers

Daniel

Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 am

Retics are not first time boid keepers. If you make a mistake they will teach you a lesson. Practice on smaller snakes and later get retics when you are more experienced.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 am

Is the somerset west are close to EL? Or is it closer to the Western Cape? I get confused with all the "summers" in the Cape provinces.

And BV - if Retics are not first time boid keepers, does that make a burm the step up to them? Me and my gf have exeperience with bci and BRB and have handled a few big ones. I understand and agree with working my way up, I just want to know what the next step is then.
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas