Red Tail Boa - Help pls

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Red Tail Boa - Help pls

Postby Dangerbear » Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Hello.

I'm new to the group. Please, see if you can assist me.

About a month and half ago I purchased a Red Tail Boa (around 2 years old and 1.8m long) from a lady in Brakpan. I bought her with the enclosure.

I noticed some odd areas on her skin that don't particularly look healthy (Not sure how to post pics). It appears as though the scales are drying out and are wrinkled and not smooth, colorful and shiny as it ought to be. These became systematically worse. There is a small spots that look like sores. I’m not sure if it is an injury she sustained prior or it is all caused by a skin disorder. She is also shedding individual scales instead of the full skin like regular shedding (not sure if this is due to the Vaseline).

I consulted a Pet shop that sell snakes as well and was supplied with a disinfectant wound spray I am to apply once every 5 days and Reptisafe drops water conditioner. This has not helped. I also rub her with shed assist once a week and was told by the pet shop I can use plain, un scented Vaseline as well, which I have done twice. The skin does not appear to revitalize. I’m concerned :cry:

Could you please advise? I would truly appreciate your input and assistance.

I’m based in Auckland Park, Johannesburg.
My email is guardian786atgmail.com

Thank you.
Dangerbear
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Red Tail Boa - Help pls

Postby cascade » Wed May 27, 2015 3:15 pm

I am just going to help with the photo upload so you can add photo's for a proper look.

When posting scroll down and click on upload attachment.

Capture 1.PNG

Choose photo

Capture 2.PNG

and click add file.
and then you can place inline

Capture 3.PNG

and then Submit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangerbear » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm

20150514_101615_resize.jpg
Slitherine 2.jpg
20150514_101615_resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dangerbear
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangerbear » Wed May 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Slitherine 4.jpg
Dangerbear
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Looks like scale rot to me. Could be from sitting in it's own faeces or dirty cage for too long.
I would recommend some Bactroban applied to the wounds every few days and keeping the cage very clean, just keep the snake on news paper or kombuis towel and replace it often, every one or 2 days. Also supply fresh water daily.
Don't use any of the shed assist or Reptisafe drops, just a clean warm cage with a nice hide, Bactroban and clean water will be fine.
Is the snake feeding?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby danthesnakeman84 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi, I have a red tail with similar (luckily smaller) spots, so have also been looking for some advice. I have read that some snake keepers have even used rooibos tea's anti fungal properties to heal snakes wounds. (snakes he took in that were abandoned or injured). I have acquired some "mite wipes" (insecticidal) which is for bacteria, spores and fungi so i'm hoping to see an improvement towards next week. I have also just joined this forum so will post some pics for my own record to compare future pictures for observed improvement. Is the bactroban known to be a good cure for scale rot/fungi?

Thanx for advice and good luck with that! any idea how old that 1.8m boa is?
danthesnakeman84
SA Reptiles Member

Postby venomking » Thu May 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Agree with mitton on the bactroban also have had good results with F10 like he stated keep cage very clean and appropriate heating.
Im just throwing a stone in the bush here but could it be burns from light or heat emitter
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dangerbear » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks all for replying. I truly appreciate it.
Will get some Bactroban ASAP.
Heat source is red bulb. Too high for Slitherine to burn herself. When I got her from previous owner the fitting was hanging loose halfway down. I am to build her a new enclosure soon ;)
She has eaten only once since I got her (22 April). She has not eaten since. I try every evening.
When I got her I threw out all gravel, sanitized the enclosure as per care sheets and replaced with new gravel. She has defecated twice (at night) and I cleaned it immediately the following morning. I have a river sand like gravel in her enclosure and scoop out all contaminated gravel and vacuum out remaining wet gravel in that vicinity before sanitizing that entire area again.
Slitherine gets a nice lukewarm bath thereafter with some cuddles and a tan on the lawn before putting her back.
PS: Venomking - What is F10?
Dan, are "mitewipes" available from regular pet shops?
Dangerbear
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm

Dangerbear wrote:I have a river sand like gravel in her enclosure

There's your biggest problem, that is not a good substrate and you will not get her better if you don't get rid of that. News paper or cardboard only for now till she is better.
Do you have any thermometer or thermostat that you measure the temp so you know the heat under the red bulb is right, not too high and not too low? What are the current temps in the cage?
Once you get rid of the sand, leave her alone for a week or 2 (only put the Bactroban on the wounds) so she can heal, you don't have to give a lukewarm bath, they don't get that in the wild.

F10 is a disinfectant that you can buy from most vets, you dilute it and clean the cage with it, spray the cage (snake removed) leave for a few seconds and wipe the cage with the damp cloth.
https://www.dogonline.co.za/f10sc-veter ... ctant.html
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dangerbear » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks Mitton.

I had Slitherine at the Radiokop Vet (Dr. Philip Stapelberg)
I'm informed that her skin is dry and therefore not shedding right. He told me to continue with the Bactroban and also gave me F10. The multiple uses of this product is amazing!.

I took out all the gravel and put in newspaper for now. I no not have a thermometer (previous one broke) I also need to get a humidity gauge. I'm trying to figure how to maintain the temperature and humidity. Philip gave me a few guidelines as to heat and humidity, among others.

I placed a mesh over a portion of her water bowl (square stainless steel tub) and moved it under the light so the humidity can increase but at the same time allowing her to lay in a heated spot. She does not seem fond of the water so won't lie in it. What is a better way to maintain humidity levels in the cage? In the coming months I look at building a bigger much better cage for her with some live plants, better heating and ventilation.
Dangerbear
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas