What Boid next?

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

What Boid next?

Postby AndrewBobDrew » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 am

Well still trying to decide what the next couple of snakes are gonna be. Was going to import but logistics too much of a hassle now and need to go in with a few others to make it viable.Thought you guys might be able to help me out with info and if any of you are execting babies. my choices:

1. Ball Pythons (got three coming in Dec)
then need to decide between
2.Pair Dumeril
3.Pair IJCP
4.Pair JCP
5.Pair Brazilian Rainbow
6.Pair Hog Island
7. Pair BCC or BCI
8.Columbian Rainbow boa

My main requirements are size to be tops at 7', calm nature, and not too expensive. Anybody know of availability. Also give me your opinions on what would be best. SOme of these snakes might top 7' but with a calm nature that could be ok.
Corn Snakes 1.2
Ball Python 0.3 (from Dec)

What you selling? PM me!
AndrewBobDrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corncrazy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:53 am

I would pair up, ur columbian boa, get him/her a mate
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Re: What Boid next?

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:22 am

AndrewBobDrew wrote:Well still trying to decide what the next couple of snakes are gonna be. Was going to import but logistics too much of a hassle now and need to go in with a few others to make it viable.Thought you guys might be able to help me out with info and if any of you are execting babies. my choices:

1. Ball Pythons (got three coming in Dec)
then need to decide between
2.Pair Dumeril
3.Pair IJCP
4.Pair JCP
5.Pair Brazilian Rainbow
6.Pair Hog Island
7. Pair BCC or BCI
8.Columbian Rainbow boa

My main requirements are size to be tops at 7', calm nature, and not too expensive. Anybody know of availability. Also give me your opinions on what would be best. Some of these snakes might top 7' but with a calm nature that could be ok.

I would go for either a Brazilian Rainbow, as they are really stunning (I can hook you up with a breeder if you'ld like ;) ) or try to get a BCC, although that would require importing from an other country.

BCI's are gorgeous and by far my favorite snakes available on the South African market, as they tend to only be grumpy till about a year old (I think they feel threatened). Okay, not all of them are grumpy, but usually when they are it's only till that age.

I wouldn't mind some Hog Island Boas. I have one which seems to have some traces of Hog Island in it. I'll post a pic or two if you would like to see it. The colours are amazing, even though when it's in it's colour stage it's flippen ugly. lol

Jungle Carpet Pythons are nice and very pretty but usually snappy. Dumerils are also awesome snakes. Bit pricey, but if you got the money, defenitly worth payingextra for.

Okay, that was my 5 cents on the list. lol Don't know if I helped at all though.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby AndrewBobDrew » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:06 pm

Hey thanks BB

I wish money wasn't a prob as I could quite easily by a pair of each. The thing is should i sacrifice the balls for getting something in my list. Ball pythons seem to meet my wants but it would be great to get something different like a dumerils boa

Corncrazy i just forgot the word pair off the columbian rainbow boa as I don't have any yet.

Brazilians would be great but a bit worried bout the biting

BCI would also be nice but worried bout the size and cleaning unless I can train the GF to do it.LOL!not going to happen.

JCP's are really nice but mine loved giving me love bites that kinda bled a lot. I might be keen to get a pair. I should never have sold my female! If I can source an IJCP the decision may be made then!
Corn Snakes 1.2

What you selling? PM me!
AndrewBobDrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:30 pm

I would say no, don't sacrafice your Ball Pythons. Just make sure you are getting them from a reliable source, and the price is acceptable.

I thought you wanted something other than the BP's.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby AndrewBobDrew » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:22 pm

no I do but choices are limited with the bank after the ball python purchase. But I think I will get the bP's and then look towards something else.

Any ideas on my concerns of the choices?
Corn Snakes 1.2

What you selling? PM me!
AndrewBobDrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:39 pm

Firstly, get another girlfriend that will do her bit.

There are very few true blooded Hogg Island boas in SA so dont spend money on them.

Dumeril boas are nice to keep but can be cannibalistic so watch them.

BCC are almost impossible to find locally and are very expensive overseas as well. They do not breed as well as the common boas.

Brazilian or Columbian rainbow boas are pretty easy to keep if you follow a few rules. They can be snappy but calm down with time.

Any of the carpet pythons are nice to keep and calm down very quickly. They are fairly cheap and highly underated in South Africa. I would go for normal Carpet pythons and the Ball pythons at this time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby AndrewBobDrew » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm

Do Brazilians bite a lot?more that a JCP?

Still deciding between 3 balls or a pair of brazilians
Corn Snakes 1.2

What you selling? PM me!
AndrewBobDrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:45 am

My Brazilian calmed down after only biting me once. Very skittish though, until you pick him up, then he calms down and curls around your arm and stays there for ages. I would say get a pair, they are beautiful and not that aggro(at least mine isn't)
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:08 am

As babies they are very cheeky but very cute. They calm down totally as they grow up.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby snake-5 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 am

id get the brazillians they are exceptionally stunning,and dont grow all that big
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas