My small indigenous collection

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Re: My small indigenous collection

Postby Slayer69 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 pm

She is doing really well.
Had a bit of a poor shed as she decided to shed under her infra red light so the skin dried very quick once the process started.
She ate right afterwards so all is well.
Slayer69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Then everything is going well your side, now you just need to get her a new male.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks very much for sharing jka. Given a free choice I would much rather keep housies, auroras and mole snakes than cornsnakes. I adore our "local yokels" in the reptile world. Please feel free to post pics of them any time. :)
Unfortunately the permit system in Gauteng puts me off. Not many people here in Gauteng supply indigenous snakes (because of the one sided permit system I presume) which means you have to purchase indigenous from KZN which in turn means transportation permits as well as keeping permits which to my mind just equates to major hassle.
You have to state in the Gauteng permit who you are acquiring the snakes from and how many times you blow your nose (just kidding about the latter!).
If you keep exotics here in Gauteng no-one comes to nose around your house. No-one knows whether or not you even have snakes let alone what kind and how many.
Maybe some would see this as a bad thing but not being a Big Brother fan myself, I am more than happy not to have to be inspected by NatCon every time I acquire a scaly friend.
I am planning on becoming a reptile breeder and would love to be able to breed some of our more endangered species but many scientists apparently don't support this idea (in their infinite wisdom) due to fears about contaminating gene pools - assuming that there will be gene pools left to contaminate in a few years time of course!
At least in the Cape because everything is on permit the choice between local or exotic involves pretty much the same formalities and so there is perhaps an easier supply of indigenous snakes.
Like I said, thanks for sharing. Maybe I will brave the permit system and some stage and get me a pair of housies. But for now just keep the pics coming :D :D :D
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Nice collection. Indigenous rocks and my collection is slowly growing in this regard. Yes the permit system can be a big hassle at times. But either I am very fortunate or I just don't mind hassles (not sure) but I haven't had any permit problems as of yet... touch wood...
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Nasicornis wrote:I haven't had any permit problems as of yet... touch wood...
You are a VERY lucky man Q.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:30 pm

mole snakes from the cape are still the prettiest ones around
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm

I'm really not sure where she is from, but I hope she has some Cape blood in her I want a huge monster. :D
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 pm

very nic mate you have some incredibly stunning animals, the mole snake is just beautiful! and thre house snakes, dang it their all beautiful!
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:56 am

very nice snakes!
Boa
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Previous

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes