What u think?I.D? [L. rufulus]

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Re: What u think?I.D?

Postby Rishaad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Ok, maybe I am full of BS or maybe even SS or maybe I just need to have my eyes checked cos the belly does look too orangeish/pinkish to be a fuscus. @westley - Remember Im fairly new to this man and I was just relaying what I could see in the pics from the book and if you look at this pic carefully there is a striking resemblance.

From A Complete Guide to the Snakes of Southern Africa, Second Edition, by Johan Marais, Struik publishers, 2004. ( Don't forget proper referencing when posting articles such as this one!) -BushSnake
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi Rishaad. No worries man, it's a common mistake. Young L. rufulus do resemble L. fuscus quite closely, but the snake in question is definitely L. rufulus.

Unless I've been catching 10's of misidentified fuscus, haha. Wouldn't that be a joke.

A scale count would sort this out easily, but I'm sticking with Brown Water Snake.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Wolverine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi guys

This is a L. rufulus. Out of interest, molecular work has shown that the genera Lamprophis and Lycodonomorphus are not distinct from one another and they will be merged - all falling under Lamprophis. This actually makes some intuitive sense when you look at similar snakes like fuscus and rufulus.
Wolverine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:56 am

Well please do post some pics to help show the obious pointers to qickly I.D these two species correctly apart from scale counting.If it is posible.
I have never caught either of the two species before, but have not seen the pinkish belly on rufulus pics.
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes