Natal Green or what?

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Re: Natal Green or what?

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 pm

Haha nice one DK, I think we going to have to leave it at that lol
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:04 pm

I didn't know that Spotted bushsnakes and Natal green snakes produce hybrids in the wild?
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 am

Speak to Pythonodipsas, I was not aware of this either until Scavengers original thread about 2 weeks ago.
Craig knows of this natural hybridization taking place, and if anybody knows, he will.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:27 am

Roland if you compare the belly scales of the two you can see the P. natalensis is allot more yellow then the the Spotted bush snakes.

Nice i love Natal greens they usually calm down allot quicker and are allot more tolerable of handling.
Goeie werk!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Amphibian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:27 pm

To complicate things P.inornatus is really the only Philotham that in my opinion is naturally docile, so prehaps it wasnt P.natalensis as these guys are usually as grumpy as the P.semiverigatus. The larger older specimens of Inornatus can look very similar to natalensis.....
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Sorry I meant P. hoplogaster not ornatus......unfortunately didnt have any literature infront of me when posting the fisrt time and my memory is letting me down abit.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Coral » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:15 am

i got a natal greensnake and another that is supposed to be a green watersnake and when i put them in the same cage the supposed to be green watersnake wants to do the ntal green. i just want to know if a natal green would mate with a green watersnake???i will try and get pictures and post when i have time.
Coral
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:19 pm

It is possible that you just have P. n. Natalensis and P.n.occidentalis in the same cage. Cross breeding between the two subspecies of Natal Green Snake is probably a lot more plausible. The western subspecies looks very similar to the Green Water Snake P.hoplogaster in appearance.
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi, I don't know if there is any scientific evidence proving that hybrids occur. It was stated in one of the older snake books that they do hybridize freely. I have also found and seen several Philothanmnus that don't look like a particular species.

Natal greens are generally stockier than spotted bush snakes, which are more dainty or elegant in build. When you get a stocky, thick necked green snake that looks like a classic spotted bush then it gets confusing. Or a elegant bodied snake with vague markings, etc

I have a suspicion that the snake in this post is a nice green water snake (P. hoplogaster) as Amphibian suggested.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby rolandslf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks for the info Craig.
I had an utterly awesome day on Friday, my catches were as follows: 1xHerald, 2xNightie, 1xSpottie, 1xNatal Green/Green Water, 1xSpitter and seeing a Yellow Billed Kite snatch a Spottie.

Needless to say, I just love my job.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:29 am

...lucky fish...

Did you take any photos?
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby cynicman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 pm

I have a natal green which I recovered from my dogs, they had caused some serious injuries to it, but with a lot of TLC I have nursed him back to health. He has adapted to captivity very well, except when he's hungry, he tries to find his way out the terrainium. I've been catching geckos and feeding them to him, and now he has learnt that if he sits still with his head up, I'll bring him some food.

I have taken pics of him and my bhs eating, but for some reason photobucket won't let me upload tonight... will try again tomorrow and post in another thread.
Reptiles in my care: 2x Brown House (1x Female, 1x Male - here's hoping), Natal Green Male, 1x Herald, 1x Bearded Dragon Female

Total Pet Count: 26 | Dogs: 4 | Cats: 6 | Rats: 11 | Snakes: 4 | Lizards: 1
And each one is loved!!!
*My wife has lots of patience...

If you love reptiles, you would probably love rodents as well: http://www.sarodents.co.za/
cynicman
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes