Natal Green

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Natal Green

Postby iiviii » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am

Hi everyone.

First of all I want to appologise if I have placed this post in the wrong section of the web site.

I was wanting to know if anyone is breeding them and do you get them on permit in SA?
Last question, do they need a UV light in their tank (seeing as they are daytime snakes and do not get their vitamin D from their food)
and are there any other specifications on tank sizes or other usefull info?

Kind reguards
Chris
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Natal Green

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:50 am

They are very active snakes, the will benefit from a FULL UV lighting also they do well with a nice basking spot in addition to a very well planted LARGE enclosure.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby iiviii » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 am

Thank you Fooble. Do you maybe know what their temperments are like? Would I have to keep them on a lizzard\ frog diet or would they
take pinkies? I spent a few hours with a wild caught one last week and just fell inlove with it. Sadly I knew I had to let it go, but now I'm
on the hunt for a captive bred :) . If I were to breed them, do you think there would be a market for them or are they not worth keeping?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am

They are primarily gecko feeders and wrong feeders.
I wouldnt suggest feeding them pinkies keeping to their natural diet.
They aren't really a species you can handle often allot of this genus stress quite easily and often die.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby michael » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:43 am

Natal green snakes make very easy captives and will eat geckos and small frogs. The will require a tall cage that would allow them to climb. Full spectrum light is not necessary, so it is completely up to you if you want to use it. I assume you are getting or have wild caught specimens in which case it would be a good idea to provide them with plenty hiding space in the form of fake plants or real ones that mimic their environment. This provides contact security for the snakes and helps relieve stress. They can be converted on to a diet of pink mice and do quite well on this. Remember the value of your snakes shouldn’t be dictated by what someone else will pay, so breed them and learn something.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes