Keeping mole snake babies

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Re: Keeping mole snake babies

Postby boaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Advice
I am suggesting that you provide the snakes with a proper environment. This means regulated temperatures within a range which is acceptable to them. In the wild when the sun bakes down on them they can move off to a cooler area which might be metres away or even a metre underground. This they are not getting from what you are providing.

What you are doing is confining them not looking after them. They need temperature gradients within acceptable levels, humidity at a level they require, adequate hiding places, adequate basking places, the right foods in sufficient quantities and protection from the elements.

Whoever is breeding them should be able to advise you on the ones they are raising. Surely they do not kill off all of theirs every year?"
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Now now people. BV is just trying to give advice. I agree though with the permit thing as I'm not sure they would award permits if they were being kept that way. You are trying and I commend you for that but maybe you need to try something a little less extreme?
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 pm

OK. simple. Get the bucket off the stoep and inside. Take the snakes and put them in a proper cage. Use a thermometer to check their temperatures and record them. Then find out if these temperatures are within what molesnakes require(get a care sheet)(google). Clean substrate to burrow in, not sawdust. A flat surface for basking with a heat light (30 degrees under the light should be good?). Hiding places such as flat rocks. A continuous supply of water in a shallow dish. Try as many different food items as possible. Dont handle them, move them or play with them. If they dont eat after a month or so rather release.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby magda101 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 am

My bf just drove over a baby :'( he didn't make it... Feeling so sad right now...
magda101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:16 am

By the way, mole snake neonates are very very easy. Put them in a small with a bit of newspaper and a water bowl and this is the result..

IMG_2014093010753.jpg

IMG_2014093028286.jpg

IMG_2014093053405.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Nice Jamster, my little one only started taking pinks yesterday, I am so excited, all this time since I got her in March she was on geckos. It is a big relief no more gecko hunting.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes