A personal Favorite of Mine

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

A personal Favorite of Mine

Postby Mehelya » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 am

Just thought I'd throw this chap in here for the heck of it. Shed yesterday, and is coming out of quarantine this weekend, and going to his new, bigger and more furnished home...

Just some near weekend eye candy for everyone to enjoy. Hopefully I can get a female for this boy one day, and see if I can get that right as well...
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: A personal Favorite of Mine

Postby GCol » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:04 pm

He is gorgeous man, I used to keep these many years ago and they were amazing animals.
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Emerald » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:31 pm

B-E-A utifulll!!!!! very nice.... :D
Rather live 1 day as a lion than your entire life as a sheep...
Emerald
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks Gareth, I've always had a soft spot for these chaps, their attitude and character are so awesome, and a great way for newbies to get a feel for handling some of the more advanced species.

Thanks Emerald, I'll pass the compliment on when I feed him today.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GCol » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 am

No problem. May I ask how you are keeping him temps, enclosure size etc. Mine did extremely well but never bred, but i feel i was keeping them to warm all year around now that i think back. It would be nice to get some again lol.
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am

I keep him at the local temps... Hot spot up to 34-36 during summer, ambient temps across the cage are around 26-30 from cool to warm side, and temps off during winter with no feeding. Where he comes from it is exceptionally hot during the summers. He is just coming out of quarantine, so he will be getting a 1.5m x 50cm x 50cm enclosure that I am currently furnishing with a substrate that he can burrow into, and will add some pvc piping for "pre made" tunnels. That will be completed this weekend. He eats weaner rats like it's going out of style.

On the note of Mole Snakes, my father spoke to a farmer in the area here, and he is concerned about his area as far as snakes go (grain silos, and so on) as he says eh is seeing less and less of them, and more and more rats and mice. Yet at the same time, there is an increase in Rinkhals in his area. This is all according to the farmer. My Personal observations is that the Rinkhals in our area prefer to use the veld rat and mice tunnels for hiding and hunting, which is also where the moles do their thing. Whether there is something that is going on between the rinks and the moles, I don't know, but I think it would be interesting to do some investigation and see if the Rinkhals are affecting the molesnake pops.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GCol » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Rian, I like that idea with the pre made tunnels. That observation is interesting, maybe looking at what the hatchling and Juveniles of each species feeds on and the abundance of that prey item would be beneficial....do young Rinkhals eat other snakes? If so maybe the mole snake babies are being 'picked' on? We do not get either species in my area but Nkwaleni (+- 20km) from me) has the odd Mole snake every year.
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes