Indigenous snakes for education

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Indigenous snakes for education

Postby herpcrazy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi guys

I live in Kirkwood in the Eastern Cape in the Sundays River Valley. I am a biology teacher at the local school for the past 7 years now. Due to the fact that water is no problem in the area we get quite a lot of snakes here. The whole town is surrounded by citrus orchards and the farm workers kill a large number of snakes.I have kept snakes for 23 years now and are a great snake enthusiast. So I have been giving my number out to people to remove snakes. My number spread like a bush fire and now I get call outs often. The most often encountered snakes are brown house snakes, herald snakes, cape cobras, puff adders and boomslang. I have had the odd call out for wolf snakes, aurora house snakes, egg eaters, skaapstekers and watersnakes.

I want to know whether anyone can put me into contact with breeders of indigenous snakes. I want to build up an indigenous collection, for myself, and also to use as education for the awareness of snakes in the area. It must be captive bred please, as permits in the east cape can be a hassle. All the snakes I catch I release. Might keep for a week or 2 if it is in a bad shape, just giving it a feeding or two before release.

Drop me a PM if you breed or sell.
We have an abundance of dwarf geckoes in the area, so feeding small juveniles isn't a problem.
It can be any fangless or mildly venomous.

Thanks guys. Really think education is the most important step towards conservation. Convinced quite a number of the community to call instead of kill.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Indigenous snakes for education

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 am

You need to make contact with Micheal Burmeister who is a conservation officer in the Eastern Cape. He would be able to help you with advice and possibly even arrange to get species you require.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks a lot Bushviper, appreciate it.

You don't perhaps have a contact number for him, or know where he is situated? Just to narrow my search.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am

PM with contact details sent.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes