Gravid filesnake

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Gravid filesnake

Postby mfezi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 am

here are some animals that are gravid

Unicolour file snake, she should drop any day!! so excited

Red Beaked snake

I also have gravid eastern tigersnake, gravid Atractaspis fallax (the giant stiletto), gravid house snakes, Lyresnake eggs, rufous beaked snake eggs and a few animals thaty look very promising!!!
mfezi
Photo of the Month Winner

Postby slangman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:02 pm

awsome pics , really made up for ya . looking forward to seing some pics of the whippers when they hatch :D
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Good luck with them man i hope you have a 100% success rate, definitely post pics when the little guys and girls breath some fresh air :D
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mfezi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:45 pm

red beaked laid 17 eggs, 14 of which are good
mfezi

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:10 pm

Congrats. Holding thumbs for you on the unicolor.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:54 pm

how can one not be proud of that?Very nice.
Please shout if you are selling babies mfezi.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Natal Black » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:24 pm

Thats ridiculous !!! Those baby red beaked's have the prettiest babies !! That would be a sight to behold.

ps *this topic is in the wrong forum* Took me a while to find it.
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Great news Don. You're doing wonders with African snakes and their public promotion.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby mfezi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:26 pm

its a double edged sword.. when i started there were not even brown house snakes on the kingsnake classifieds, i tried for 2 years to get any, now there are tons of african animals...

I am happy that people enjoy african reptiles, but i am worried that it will turn into another indonesia....

as for cb, i am excited about that as it will hopefully replace WC soon

don
mfezi

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 am

Mfezi I know what you mean. Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique are shipping thousands of reptiles every month. The good thing is that more people get to see our wildlife. The downside is they are not really going to appreciate it.

If you can buy lizards for $1 then they become a food item and the irony is that we are not even allowed to keep some of those same species here. Selling snakes for $5 does not make them sought after and as a result whether they live or die does not really matter.

Africa is not geared for controlling and utilizing reptiles and exploitation will take place. Certain species which have slow reproductive rates and have tiny localities can be exterminated in a matter of years. Flame bellied lizards are probably one of the rarest of the girdled lizards but are sold for $18. The trapper probably gets $3 which is good for him but bad for the animals.

Like you I am in two minds. If we were running the show instead of politicians and animal rightists we might be able to get it right, however I do predict doom and gloom for the reptiles.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mfezi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 am

When I was in Tanzania, Joe Beraducci made a valid point, he said that he has no issue collecting every animal he sees and putting it in a cage, that does not make animals disappear, its habitat destruction!!

He said he saw areas that 10 years ago you saw chameleons everywhere, but once its slashed and burned, and people build houses, who cares about the poor chameleons anymore, they are long gone. I agree with him on that count. Its better to have an animal in a cage, than dead on the ground.

That being said, I am glad that SA is closed for WC export as I hate the idea of our WC animals leaving in large numbers.

I will continue to breed as much as possible so that people will hopefully, no longer see the need to buy WC afican animals Beraducci is doing a great job with cb chams out of Tanzania as well, and the government has realized that and is issuing him permits that no one else can get because of these efforts.

Trade in reptiles is not going away, if you go to the CITES website, 120 000 cobra permits are issued every year out of Indo alone... for skins... thats scary!!

well, enough of that, lets hope my eggs hatch!!

don
mfezi

Postby mfezi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:50 am

whoops

double post
mfezi

Postby froot » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:06 am

Your efforts are not going unnoticed Don, keep it up. I have always maintained the same, that the demand for reptiles will always be there and the best thing to do is to study their husbandry and captive breed them in order to alleviate pressure by the trade on wild animals.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:33 am

Mfezi then when you look at the other side of the coin Australia is a prime example. They allow no trade in captive bred or wild caught specimens, hardly any people collect inside the country in any case and they still have rare and endangered species. Same with their parrots and small marsupials.

In Australia it is lucrative to smuggle Green tree pythons back to Australia. In Australia they cost about $6000 to $10 000. In South Africa we cannot afford snakes locally but they are cheaper in Europe. Local gaboons R2000, in Europe or the US R350.

Striking the balance is the difficult thing. I am a firm believer in utilization but there has to be a political will to make it happen and work. Probably this will not happen in my lifetime.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes